Aug 9, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
Maybe that’s a totally stupid question. I’ll admit, it’s a bit talk radio at the very least. It’s not terribly important in the grand or small scheme of things, but it’s something that I’m genuinely wondering about and what is a blog if not a vehicle for examining the things which hold the blogger’s interest?
My guess: half-boos, a quarter cheers and a quarter indifference.
They’ll only report the boos, of course, because its has become all but required that we cast Alex Rodriguez in as negative a light as possible, but I really do not believe there will be some unanimous condemnation of A-Rod in Yankee Stadium. We’re supposed to pretend otherwise, but lots of folks are simply baseball fans and don’t give a rip what went into the performance. They boo the bad performances and cheer the good ones and at the moment (a) A-Rod has no performances in front of them this year; and (b) his replacements have been so godawful that I’m pretty sure Yankees fans would cheer for Mussolini if he showed up and could play a competent third base and show some pop.
As for the boos: I bet a third of those are from people mad at the steroids stuff, a third mad at the A-Rod/strained quad media circus and a third who are still angry at how poorly he played during the playoffs last year.
Not that we’ll know, and not that the media will go with any narrative more A-Rod-friendly than “a cool reaction for Rodriguez.” But I bet it’s a lot more complicated in the mind of the Yankees fan base than it is in the minds of the soapboxers.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)