So, do Yankees fans cheer for A-Rod tonight?

Aug 9, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT

Image (1) AlexRodriguezAP-thumb-250x303-6668.jpg for post 4407

Maybe that’s a totally stupid question. I’ll admit, it’s a bit talk radio at the very least. It’s not terribly important in the grand or small scheme of things, but it’s something that I’m genuinely wondering about and what is a blog if not a vehicle for examining the things which hold the blogger’s interest?

My guess: half-boos, a quarter cheers and a quarter indifference.

They’ll only report the boos, of course, because its has become all but required that we cast Alex Rodriguez in as negative a light as possible, but I really do not believe there will be some unanimous condemnation of A-Rod in Yankee Stadium. We’re supposed to pretend otherwise, but lots of folks are simply baseball fans and don’t give a rip what went into the performance. They boo the bad performances and cheer the good ones and at the moment (a) A-Rod has no performances in front of them this year; and (b) his replacements have been so godawful that I’m pretty sure Yankees fans would cheer for Mussolini if he showed up and could play a competent third base and show some pop.

As for the boos: I bet a third of those are from people mad at the steroids stuff, a third mad at the A-Rod/strained quad media circus and a third who are still angry at how poorly he played during the playoffs last year.

Not that we’ll know, and not that the media will go with any narrative more A-Rod-friendly than “a cool reaction for Rodriguez.” But I bet it’s a lot more complicated in the mind of the Yankees fan base than it is in the minds of the soapboxers.

1. unclemosesgreen - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:02 PM

There will be lots of loud cheering and loud booing because the idiots are loudest.

• Old Gator - Aug 9, 2013 at 6:48 PM

You think Poor Dim One Note Harry will show up? If so, everyone ought to cover their ears regardless of what he does. My guess is that he will just down four beers and belch.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 9, 2013 at 6:50 PM

It’s just one note but by Buddha he does research and hits some unusual artificial harmonics.

Speaking of artifical harmonics, it was a pure delight to watch closeups on Jerry’s 9 fingers in “Sunshine Daydream” as he hit some outrageous high pitched tones in multiple solos.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 9, 2013 at 6:53 PM

And to be honest, I reject all of the false narratives about Alex Rodriguez out of hand. He’s done some good, he’s done some bad, and he’s fighting for his life like his hair was on fire. So to the extent that he tortures metaphor he is certainliy a boon to all fans of malapropism.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 9, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Will you get out of the nursing home tonight and show up? Yea probably not

• dickclydesdale - Aug 9, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Yankee fans are fair weathered scum. Yet A-Rod himself is scum so they will cheer his 1st at bat but after he goes 0-4 they will boo.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 9, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Or if he goes yard the boo’ers will cheer – par for the course my white-hooved friend.

2. mybrunoblog - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:10 PM

He’ll be booed. Loudest at his first AB then a little less each following AB. If he gets a big hit or goes yard there will a few cheers but we are all sick of this guy. Either way the season as a whole is slipping away so the Yanks have a lot to think about besides Arod drama.

3. tfbuckfutter - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Yes, the 75-80% of fans that actually show up will boo him.

Until he does well. Then they will cheer him.

And then as he continues to do well, they will insist they never booed him.

Then they will defend him.

• nbjays - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Until he has an 0-fer game, or strikes out in the bottom of the 9th with the winning run on base… then they will happily go back to booing him, and insist they hated him all along.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:50 PM

It kind of makes me wish the Mets would actually win something so at least the pool would be split more evenly.

Like it used to be.

Here’s a couple fun sites to show how fairweather NYers are:

Notice any trends?

4. timbo08 - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Jack Clark says A-Rod never did roids. He says it’s based on hearsay but we may as well write 15 f’n articles on it regardless of the fact the there are no facts.

5. rbj1 - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Hey, that Il Duce fellow wasn’t so bad. He was actually thought of reasonably well in the West. At least until that whole unpleasantness happened.

And watching the Yankees third base men has been painful this season.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:24 PM

/pops up like a prairie dog

Did someone say Il Duce?

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 9, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Moses…
        That’s 3:24 I can never get back. It’s lost forever. Thanks Man. Thanks a lot.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Either you’re a ‘Young Ones’ fan or I wasted your time. Sorry pal.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 9, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Don’t sweat it. Just for the record…I tried to like it.
        Watched the whole damn thing. ALL 3:24. Lol!

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I had a 30 minute argument/debate with a friend about this today. It ended with him saying, “I don’t care about the facts. ARod is a douche and I want to boo him.”

Yep, that about sums it up.

7. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:18 PM

P.S. I hope he hits three HR tonight just to confuse the h-e-double-hockey-sticks out of the ‘fans’

• nbjays - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:36 PM

And as icing on the cake, Nova implodes and the Tigers win it, 10-3.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:47 PM

So everyone can cheer for all-around good guys like Miguel Cabrera and Jhonny Peralta, who is absent for some reason I forget why?

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Then they wouldn’t cheer.

Because he can only hit in games that don’t matter.

• nbjays - Aug 9, 2013 at 7:47 PM

No, so Historio can cheer for Don Kelly. :-)

/ducks thrown peanuts

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 9, 2013 at 11:51 PM

You mean implode like Rogers did tonight for the jays? How did that work out for ya? Not only does the jays rotation suck but the bullpen is maybe just as bad, nice game tonight bluejays

8. militarymanmc - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:24 PM

“They’ll only report the boos, of course, because its has become all but required that we cast Alex Rodriguez in as negative a light as possible…”

Maybe the boos come from those that just don’t like the fact that HE put himself in this “negative light” by using illegal substances to gain an edge over his fellow players? Maybe those that boo are baseball lovers, and they boo because the “negative light” HE put himself in, not only now shines on the Yanks, but the game of baseball itself?

Not too sure why you “feel” so badly for ARod Craig…but it’s a little much now, don’t ya think?

• clemente2 - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:35 PM

So you are booing the 20-30% on Adderal? Or booed almost all the players pre-2004 for PEDS, greenies, etc.? Doubtful. So, you are selective. Such a discriminating mind….

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:43 PM

…HE put himself in this “negative light” by using illegal substances to gain an edge over his fellow players?

Yes, before these allegations, or even before his previous confession about PEDs, he was loved and adored by legion of cheering fans

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 9, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Except by me CC. For some reason…the dude has always grated on my nerves.
        All the way back to Seattle. Please know I can’t explain why. And I can’t even fabricate reasons for it to potentially make sense. It’s just the way it is.
        But the dude could play some serious SS back in the day. No disputing that.

9. If the Shoe Fits - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I’ve had season tix to the Yanks since before the Arod era… people have booed him incessantly (and cheered for him as well) since his arrival. Most of it comes from the money/ jealousy thing, and the balance probably comes from the fact that he’s someone who can’t get out of his own way with the media. Now he’s just thrown more fuel on the considerably large fire.

I never understood why people would boo their own player (and this was before playoff failures or steroid revelations). I root for laundry, and want my laundry to beat the other team’s laundry.

• ctony1216 - Aug 9, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I’m a Yankees fan too, and I’ll be watching from home tonight and from the stands tomorrow. I’ll be rooting for A-Rod to get some big hits. I never boo the Pinstripes.

In fact, I don’t boo any player, not even the Red Sox. I think booing is kind of moronic. Guys are out there playing a sport for my entertainment. I try to enjoy it, but that’s just me. For the Yankees fans who do boo, I hope they save it for the Tigers, and preserve that home field advantage.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 9, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I hear you Tony. I make the exception for Brandon Phillips. When he is in the box I boo his ass like no other. But then when he makes a great defensive play I cheer for him.
        Yeah…I am sometimes a walking/talking contradiction.

10. theskinsman - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Does it matter if he gets booed? He still gets paid,and Craig’s intense man love for A-Rod will counter any bad feelings as ‘he fights for his life’.

11. tpintong - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I’ve been to about 15 Yankee games so far this year. For those that are observant, you will see little to no mention of A-rod as a Yankee around the Stadium. I’ve only seen 2 wall signs with him on it, which have been up since the Stadium opened. On the Jumbotrons, there has not even been one sighting of his face.

In terms of the fans, the last game I was at I saw 1 person, out of thousnads I passed that had on an A Rod jersey/shirt. Granted, it was Matsui’s retiring day, so most ppl wore matsui or Ichiro shirts, but even at “nornal” games, I would put arod shirt sightings at 3 or under. The fan base, as well as the Yankees themselves are sick of him.

In his time as a Yankee, I’ve actually cheered for him all of once, when I was there for his 500th home run, before all the cheating allegations came up. But even before that game, from the first game I saw him play, I have neither cheered or booed him. I won’t cheer for someone I don’t respect, but I also won’t boo someone who plays for my team. The people who attend games regularly, from the people I’ve talked to, mostly feel the same way. It’s the clowns who come 1-2 games a year and sunshine fans that do all the booing and random nonsense you may see.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 9, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Word to the true fans.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I won’t cheer for someone I don’t respect,

Prior to the steroid allegations, what did he do to lose your respect? Not win enough MVPs? Not pitch well enough in the playoffs while the starters collectively gave up 4-5 runs a game? Not shine St. Jeter’s shoes on the way out every game?

• sabatimus - Aug 9, 2013 at 6:50 PM

“Prior to the steroid allegations, what did he do to lose your respect?”

Open his mouth. He has always been one of the most disingenuous people I’ve ever come across.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 9, 2013 at 7:21 PM

So when he offered to take a reduction in pay to join the Sox, he was disingenuous? When he was traded to the Yanks, and moved off his position for an inferior player, he was disingenuous? When he talked about how excited he was to join the Yanks and get Jeter 10 rings to be like Yogi, he was disingenuous?

• tpintong - Aug 9, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I’m not going to say New York media isn’t biased, cause it obviously is, but throwing your “friend” Derek Jeter under the bus in Esquire and saying anyone could’ve won the Wrold Series with those yankee teams lost him a bunch of respect points.

Having his name in the newspaper every other day with some new “look at me” garbage while the majority of the team just wants to keep their heads down and play the game loses respect points.

Smacking someone’s glove running to first base and trying to distract players on the field with his yelling like a little leaguer loses respect points.

getting caught in illegal gambling rings around NYC loses respect points

cheating on his wife and partying with strippers while married loses respect points

asking for a private jet in a contract loses respect points

Being a slumlord and owning decrepit apartments and not fixing neccesities loses respect points.

Do i Need to go on?

Or should I respect someone who lives in such an egocentric enclosed bubble that people just want someone who was supposed to be one of the best players in baseball just go away?

To dispute some of your other points, who’s to say that Jeter wouldn’t have been the better player than A-Rod if Arod hadn’t cheated. No one denies that A rod has hit a ton of home runs, but putting up stats while being a distraction in the clubhouse tarnishes that just a bit. And for him saying things, like wanting to reduce his contract, he obviously didn’t feel the same way when he opted out of his contract in the middle of the ’07 world series. by the way, more respect points lost. Jeter goes on the disabled list cause he plays hard. While I don’t have A-Rod’s medical reports in front of me, I really wouldn’t be surprised if half of his ailments come from taking steroids.

12. blabidibla - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Watched his first at bat of the year in a highlight video as released by MLB under the headline “ARod Booed.”

Yes, there were boos, and there were cheers, and lots of people just sitting hoping a game of baseball might break out.

13. tbutler704 - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:54 PM

They may as well cheer Rodriguez….the Yankee fan won’t have much else to cheer as Detroit smacks their ass around that building all weekend.

14. fissels - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I hope they boo him, he’s a bum

15. misterscmo - Aug 9, 2013 at 6:08 PM

The Yankees, and by default their fans, are paying Mr. Rodriguez $172,839.51 to play tonight’s game. I suspect that will be cause for more boos than huzzahs.

16. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 9, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Yes, next question

17. mornelithe - Aug 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM

“They’ll only report the boos, of course, because its has become all but required that we cast Alex Rodriguez in as negative a light as possible”

Given your last thousand or so articles Craig, I don’t think you got that memo.

18. xmatt0926x - Aug 9, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Wait a second. So you’re saying that the media will only report on the boos in order to support their preferred narrative? No way. The media does that?

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet