Aug 9, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT
In the top of the second of the first game of today’s day-night doubleheader against the White Sox, Twins outfielder Chris Colabello homered to right field off of Sox starter John Danks to stake his club to an early 1-0 lead. As the ball landed in the Twins bullpen, it appeared as if reliever Jared Burton sucker punched bullpen mate Brian Duensing in the face.
Phil Miller of the Star Tribune helps provide some context:
When Chris Colabello swung at the John Danks’ second-inning pitch in Game 1, Brian Duensing jumped up in the Twins’ bullpen and yelled at Jared Burton, “C’mon — Punch me! Punch me!”
And that’s how the Twins’ bullpen “brawl,” which you are guaranteed to see on sports highlight shows several times this weekend, got started.
Burton and Duensing have been planning the prank for awhile — since last season, actually, when former Twin Matt Maloney came up with the idea. Noting that relief pitchers are often seen in the background when a home run is hit into the bullpen, Maloney suggested they stage a fight for the cameras to pick up.
Now that is a heck of a prank. Kudos to Burton and Duensing.
(tip of the cap to /r/baseball for the .gif)
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 43
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 35
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process (78)