Aug 9, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT
In the top of the second of the first game of today’s day-night doubleheader against the White Sox, Twins outfielder Chris Colabello homered to right field off of Sox starter John Danks to stake his club to an early 1-0 lead. As the ball landed in the Twins bullpen, it appeared as if reliever Jared Burton sucker punched bullpen mate Brian Duensing in the face.
Phil Miller of the Star Tribune helps provide some context:
When Chris Colabello swung at the John Danks’ second-inning pitch in Game 1, Brian Duensing jumped up in the Twins’ bullpen and yelled at Jared Burton, “C’mon — Punch me! Punch me!”
And that’s how the Twins’ bullpen “brawl,” which you are guaranteed to see on sports highlight shows several times this weekend, got started.
Burton and Duensing have been planning the prank for awhile — since last season, actually, when former Twin Matt Maloney came up with the idea. Noting that relief pitchers are often seen in the background when a home run is hit into the bullpen, Maloney suggested they stage a fight for the cameras to pick up.
Now that is a heck of a prank. Kudos to Burton and Duensing.
(tip of the cap to /r/baseball for the .gif)
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 6
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 117
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 26
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39