Aug 9, 2013, 8:48 PM EDT
Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, currently in the process of appealing his 2013-14 seasons-ending suspension from Major League Baseball, made his much-anticipated season debut at Yankee Stadium tonight against the Tigers. Prior to seeing the first pitch from starter Rick Porcello in the first inning with a runner on second base and two outs, Rodriguez received a chorus of applause and boos. He quickly fell behind in the count 0-2, then fouled off a pitch before striking out swinging. The Yankee Stadium crowd showered him with boos.
You can watch A-Rod’s first at-bat here, courtesy MLB.com:
Rodriguez has hit safely in each of his first three games since making his season debut on August 5 in Chicago against the White Sox. He will look to continue that streak tonight in support of Yankees starter Ivan Nova.
Update: With a runner on third base and one out in the bottom of the third against Porcello, Rodriguez worked a 2-2 count before striking out again. Had he gotten a base hit or a productive out, Rodriguez would have moved into a sixth-place tie with Stan Musial at 1,951 career runs batted in.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)