What do Dan Haren, Barry Zito, and A.J. Burnett have in common?

Aug 9, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT

No, none of them are in my kitchen.

Nationals starter Dan Haren tossed seven solid innings of ball tonight, holding the Phillies to two runs on four hits and no walks while striking out seven. Haren earned the W, the first of his career against the Phillies and his seventh of the year. The win also put Haren in some rare company:

Haren, by the way, has been excellent since returning on July 8 from the disabled list after suffering from inflammation in his right shoulder. In six starts spanning 37 innings, the right-hander has posted a 2.43 ERA with 39 strikeouts and eight walks.

1. lazlosother - Aug 9, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Interesting. As a NY fan I’m glad to see A.J. on the list. His tenure in NY didn’t go well, but it never seemed to be for a lack of effort and by the end he was subject to unjustified venom. Good to see him do well for the Privateers and curious as to whether he retires or re-ups.

• flamethrower101 - Aug 9, 2013 at 10:56 PM

You ask any Yankee fan to give AJ Burnett an apology they will rip you apart.

2. tfbuckfutter - Aug 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM

The one thing I wish I had in common with Barry Zito and AJ Burnett is being paid way too much money based on past accomplishments and being able to coast to a nice retirement based on just a few years worth of work.

• clemente2 - Aug 9, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Wise up. Both Burnett and Zito have shown a lot #want through careers with lots of ups and downs. I see no cruising in either; Burnett has been great for the last two years, and Zito was a big reason the Giants pulled it out last year. No one forces any owner to pay what they pay–and any jealousy you have about it is just that and nothing more.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 9, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Yes. There was a lot of Ups in their careers and then when they got paid came the Downs.

Barry Zito has collected $125,000,000 to be 12% worse than anyone else off the street could perform.

I have no jealousy or animosity because neither plays for a team I even remotely give a damn about (I do appreciate Burnett opting out of his contract and being mostly useless for the Yankees though)

• Reflex - Aug 10, 2013 at 12:19 AM

…anybody off the street? Huh? How do you get that?

• dan1111 - Aug 10, 2013 at 4:43 AM

@tbf, of course they were overpaid. No one disagrees with that.

It is your claim that they were not hard working (“coast[ing] to…retirement”) that is being objected to.

• dan1111 - Aug 10, 2013 at 4:48 AM

In general, overpaid players often take more heat than they deserve. It is not their fault that someone over-valued them and gave them a huge contract. But fans often blame the player for not performing up to the expectations that a contract creates.

• mrpinkca - Aug 10, 2013 at 2:38 PM

@tfbuck

The Giants made a mistake when they signed Barry Zito, there were quite a few stats that would suggest he was not going to age well, but they signed him anyways. It is a bad contract, but can you blame him for signing it? Absolutely not, nobody is going into contract negotiations saying “We need to be really careful here, because between aging and regression I don’t see myself being that good.” He expected to be worth the money.

If you watch “The Franchise” you will see that Zito works very hard, and does not take the criticism directed lightly.

Finally, as a Giants fan (in case that was not evident already), I spent a long time loathing that contract. When you sign a pitcher to that sort of contract all you can do is hope that they will contribute to winning a world series for your team. Barry Zito has spent quite a lot of time being a drag on the organization, but last year he came through when the Giants needed him. Barry Zito was a key piece of a championship team. You can’t ask for more than that.

3. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 9, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I imagine that number will only go up with additional focus on interleague play.

4. historiophiliac - Aug 9, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Sadly, I have no MLB players in my kitchen either. I could go for an omelet.

• lazlosother - Aug 9, 2013 at 10:58 PM

If it includes mushrooms cheese and onions I’m in.

• historiophiliac - Aug 9, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Get your own MLB man cook! >:(

• Reflex - Aug 10, 2013 at 12:20 AM

I’m not a MLB player….but I do love cooking and I make a killer omlette!

5. The Common Man - Aug 9, 2013 at 11:13 PM

God bless you and your 25 year old Cheers references.

6. andreweac - Aug 10, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Pitcher wins, in the immortal words of Mickey Hatcher, a “false stat.”

7. scotttheskeptic - Aug 10, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Great “Cheers” reference.

8. RoyHobbs39 - Aug 10, 2013 at 6:46 AM

HBT needs more Cheers references.

9. RoyHobbs39 - Aug 10, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Curious, any on that list (or the list of 13) to also beat the Expos before they moved?

10. s2mikey - Aug 10, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Barry Zito? Didn’t this guy get eleventy billion dollars and end up being a .500 pitcher with a fat ERA? Him? Oh. Actually the guys all have the same thing I common: getting paid way too much for way too little actual performance. Whatever though. Baseball fans are used to huge pay for mediocrity. They love it. That’s why even terrible players are still pulling in $5 mil a year. Groovy.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Who’s fault is it? You, me and the rest of us would sign an “eleveny billion” dollar contract if a team put it in front of us, knowing it was going to be guaranteed too.

I agree that many mediocre players make too much money.

Again it’s the owners/GM’s that are giving them these contracts…

Of course any and all players are going to sign them…

The player doesn’t hold a gun to their heads and say no increase my salary each yr by $4 million.

It’s the teams that type of these contracts and put them in front of the player.

Yes, I repeated myself but you don’t seem to get this as it’s no where in your rant…

Three legends off to Cooperstown