Aug 10, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Alex Avila is tough. The guy gets beat up like crazy back behind the plate. I think he takes more foul tips, bats, and general abuse than any catcher I can remember watching on a regular basis. Just the other day he took a ball off the mask and had to have a concussion test. Not only did he not wind up with a concussion but he ended up only missing one single game:
#Tigers lineup: Jackson cf, Hunter rf, Cabrera 3b, Fielder dh, Martinez 1b, Kelly lf, Avila c, Perez 2b, Iglesias ss. Sanchez p.
— Jason Beck (@beckjason) August 10, 2013
In other Tigers catcher news, backup Brayan Pena has lately spent all of his time on Twitter talking about his “nerts,” which is how he refers to his nipples. I wish I was kidding. I wish I didn’t know that, but those are the sorts of things you learn when you live with a Tigers fan.
Anyway, Pena has taken it next level, to where he is now posting pictures of his son in the bathtub, wearing a gold chain, and raving about his “nerts” too.
THE MOST PERFECTS NERTS EVERRRRR ,,IM A PROUD DADDDDD !!!LOL !!! NERT Jr !!!! pic.twitter.com/TKiC0Id8CR
— Brayan Pena (@cuban2727) August 10, 2013
I feel like Pena would be a fun guy to hang around for a while. But just a for a while.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)