Aug 10, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Alex Avila is tough. The guy gets beat up like crazy back behind the plate. I think he takes more foul tips, bats, and general abuse than any catcher I can remember watching on a regular basis. Just the other day he took a ball off the mask and had to have a concussion test. Not only did he not wind up with a concussion but he ended up only missing one single game:
#Tigers lineup: Jackson cf, Hunter rf, Cabrera 3b, Fielder dh, Martinez 1b, Kelly lf, Avila c, Perez 2b, Iglesias ss. Sanchez p.
— Jason Beck (@beckjason) August 10, 2013
In other Tigers catcher news, backup Brayan Pena has lately spent all of his time on Twitter talking about his “nerts,” which is how he refers to his nipples. I wish I was kidding. I wish I didn’t know that, but those are the sorts of things you learn when you live with a Tigers fan.
Anyway, Pena has taken it next level, to where he is now posting pictures of his son in the bathtub, wearing a gold chain, and raving about his “nerts” too.
THE MOST PERFECTS NERTS EVERRRRR ,,IM A PROUD DADDDDD !!!LOL !!! NERT Jr !!!! pic.twitter.com/TKiC0Id8CR
— Brayan Pena (@cuban2727) August 10, 2013
I feel like Pena would be a fun guy to hang around for a while. But just a for a while.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)