Aug 10, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Alex Avila is tough. The guy gets beat up like crazy back behind the plate. I think he takes more foul tips, bats, and general abuse than any catcher I can remember watching on a regular basis. Just the other day he took a ball off the mask and had to have a concussion test. Not only did he not wind up with a concussion but he ended up only missing one single game:
#Tigers lineup: Jackson cf, Hunter rf, Cabrera 3b, Fielder dh, Martinez 1b, Kelly lf, Avila c, Perez 2b, Iglesias ss. Sanchez p.
— Jason Beck (@beckjason) August 10, 2013
In other Tigers catcher news, backup Brayan Pena has lately spent all of his time on Twitter talking about his “nerts,” which is how he refers to his nipples. I wish I was kidding. I wish I didn’t know that, but those are the sorts of things you learn when you live with a Tigers fan.
Anyway, Pena has taken it next level, to where he is now posting pictures of his son in the bathtub, wearing a gold chain, and raving about his “nerts” too.
THE MOST PERFECTS NERTS EVERRRRR ,,IM A PROUD DADDDDD !!!LOL !!! NERT Jr !!!! pic.twitter.com/TKiC0Id8CR
— Brayan Pena (@cuban2727) August 10, 2013
I feel like Pena would be a fun guy to hang around for a while. But just a for a while.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 11
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)