Aug 10, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
Alex Rios made quite the impression in his first game as a Ranger, going 2-for-3 with a walk and a game-tying RBI triple in the eighth inning, as the Rangers defeated the Astros 5-4. The Rangers acquired Rios yesterday for Leury Garcia, a 22-year-old infield prospect who made his Major League debut earlier this season after spending most of the year with Triple-A Round Rock.
In 465 plate appearances with the White Sox, Rios posted a .749 OPS with 12 home runs and 26 stolen bases. Rios is earning $12.5 million this year and will earn another $12.5 million next year. In 2015, the Rangers will have a $13.5 million club option with a $1 million option as Rios finishes out the seven-year, $69.835 million contract extension he signed with the Blue Jays in April 2008.
The Athletics narrowly lost to the Blue Jays this afternoon, so the Rangers take a one-game first place lead in the AL West. The Rangers have a very easy schedule through August, as they face the Astros five more times, the Brewers for a two-game interleague set, the Mariners six times, the White Sox three times, and the Twins for a three-game set which bleeds into September.
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 0
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 11
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 96
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (96)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)