Aug 10, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
Alex Rios made quite the impression in his first game as a Ranger, going 2-for-3 with a walk and a game-tying RBI triple in the eighth inning, as the Rangers defeated the Astros 5-4. The Rangers acquired Rios yesterday for Leury Garcia, a 22-year-old infield prospect who made his Major League debut earlier this season after spending most of the year with Triple-A Round Rock.
In 465 plate appearances with the White Sox, Rios posted a .749 OPS with 12 home runs and 26 stolen bases. Rios is earning $12.5 million this year and will earn another $12.5 million next year. In 2015, the Rangers will have a $13.5 million club option with a $1 million option as Rios finishes out the seven-year, $69.835 million contract extension he signed with the Blue Jays in April 2008.
The Athletics narrowly lost to the Blue Jays this afternoon, so the Rangers take a one-game first place lead in the AL West. The Rangers have a very easy schedule through August, as they face the Astros five more times, the Brewers for a two-game interleague set, the Mariners six times, the White Sox three times, and the Twins for a three-game set which bleeds into September.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)