Aug 10, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
Alex Rios made quite the impression in his first game as a Ranger, going 2-for-3 with a walk and a game-tying RBI triple in the eighth inning, as the Rangers defeated the Astros 5-4. The Rangers acquired Rios yesterday for Leury Garcia, a 22-year-old infield prospect who made his Major League debut earlier this season after spending most of the year with Triple-A Round Rock.
In 465 plate appearances with the White Sox, Rios posted a .749 OPS with 12 home runs and 26 stolen bases. Rios is earning $12.5 million this year and will earn another $12.5 million next year. In 2015, the Rangers will have a $13.5 million club option with a $1 million option as Rios finishes out the seven-year, $69.835 million contract extension he signed with the Blue Jays in April 2008.
The Athletics narrowly lost to the Blue Jays this afternoon, so the Rangers take a one-game first place lead in the AL West. The Rangers have a very easy schedule through August, as they face the Astros five more times, the Brewers for a two-game interleague set, the Mariners six times, the White Sox three times, and the Twins for a three-game set which bleeds into September.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)