Jack Clark fired from his talk radio show over Albert Pujols-PED accusation

Aug 10, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2013-08-10 at 8.54.48 AM

Boy, that escalated quickly.

News broke yesterday that Jack Clark called out Albert Pujols for PEDs on his radio show. Then, later in the day, Albert Pujols indicated that he would sue Clark. Now Clark and his co-host have been fired. The Post-Dispatch has the statement from the company which employed Clark and his co-host and which, in turn, provided their services to the radio station on which they appeared:

Early Saturday, insideSTL announced it “has terminated its relationship with Jack Clark and Kevin Slaten. As independent contractors, we want to make it clear that the opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect the opinions of insideSTL. Also as independent contractors, insideSTL did not have editorial control over the show’s content.’’

Lost in all of this is that Clark and his co-host also talked about Justin Verlander and Shawn Green, using Verlander’s alleged velocity changes over the course of single games and over the years and Green’s back acne as “evidence” that they used PEDs too. Except Clark was dead wrong about Verlander’s velocity — it is virtually unchanged in terms of the patterns in games; he has always increased velocity as the game wore on, contrary to what Clark said — and the back acne thing has been widely debunked by dermatologists as a PED-signifier.

I’d say Clark should have been fired for that speculation alone, but clearly Pujols’ reaction and the publicity that came about as a result yesterday was what cost them their jobs.

And in case you missed it, Pujols’ statement denying PED use was forceful and specific. Much different than what you typically hear from players accused of PED use”

“I’ve said time and time again that I would never take, or even consider taking, anything illegal,’’ Pujols said. “I’ve been tested hundreds of times throughout my career and never once have I tested positive. It is irresponsible and reckless for Jack Clark to have falsely accused me of using PEDs. My faith in Jesus Christ, and my respect for this game are too important to me. I would never be able to look my wife or kids in the eye if I had done what this man is accusing me of.

“I know people are tired of athletes saying they are innocent, asking for the public to believe in them, only to have their sins exposed later down the road. But I am not one of those athletes, and I will not stand to have my name and my family’s name, dragged through the mud. I am currently in the process of taking legal action against Jack Clark and his employers at WGNU (920 AM).

“I am going to send a message that you cannot act in a reckless manner, like they have, and get away with it. If I have to be the athlete to carry the torch and pave the way for other innocent players to see that you can do something about it, I am proud to be that person.

“I have five young children and I take being a role model very seriously. The last thing I want is for the fans, and especially the kids out there, to question my reputation and character.”

1. northstarnic - Aug 10, 2013 at 1:52 PM

What does Jesus have to do with this?

• nothanksimdriving123 - Aug 10, 2013 at 3:22 PM

north, according to Matthew 7:55, Jesus never once failed a drug test, though after drinking wine at dinner one time, he and his donkey were pulled over by Roman cops, but he miraculously passed the field sobriety test.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 10, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Nothing much. Died for our sins, supposedly. Considering how sinful man is, I believe it!

2. themagicfanguy - Aug 10, 2013 at 1:55 PM

The dude was juiced out of his mind. We all know it, he knows it. Denying it isn’t going to change that, he should move on.

3. messire3124 - Aug 10, 2013 at 1:55 PM

what Denise replied I am surprised that a mother able to get paid $7949 in one month on the computer. did you see this page going360.biz/?1=bo0375

4. seattlenative57 - Aug 10, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Clark’s comments were absolutely inappropriate and he has been justifiably dismissed. Pujols needs to continue pursuing legal action.

5. reeggss - Aug 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Wow, this escalated quickly

6. bluesfan58 - Aug 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM

While most of us would be willing to accept whatever negatives there are to being a professional athlete for the millions a year these guys are paid, it must still be tough to swallow that no matter how innocent you are (let’s assume for the moment, since NONE of us exchanging comments here really know, that Pujols has never touched PEDs), a good portion of the country will still assume you used, and make vicious and insulting comments about you, simply because they can’t fathom or accept that your statistics and talent are valid. Nobody accuses Babe Ruth, Ted Williams or Stan Musial of doping, and yet they had stats like Albert’s. Why then can’t Albert’s stats be valid and legitimate? For those who say things like “we know he doped”, you know what…you really DON’T know that. Jack Clark may firmly believe he heard evidence to support his allegations, and maybe he did — but maybe the guy he heard it from was just BSing at the time. Or maybe he misunderstood who the guy was talking about. Who knows? The comments he claims to have heard were over 12 years ago, when Albert wasn’t even a name. Who can remember comments accurately that long ago? Why does anyone quarrel with Pujols’ desire to sue over this if he truly feels he has been defamed? The fact is that if he does pursue this suit, maybe then ALL of us will finally hear some real evidence that will have to be offered by each side at trial — although Americans historically like to render their own verdicts (OJ Simpson, Zimmerman, etc.) that they just “know” are proper even without actually sitting in on the trials themselves…

The court of public opinion is a shitty place to hear your name, no matter what.

7. jimeejohnson - Aug 10, 2013 at 9:05 PM