Jack Clark fired from his talk radio show over Albert Pujols-PED accusation

Aug 10, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2013-08-10 at 8.54.48 AM

Boy, that escalated quickly.

News broke yesterday that Jack Clark called out Albert Pujols for PEDs on his radio show. Then, later in the day, Albert Pujols indicated that he would sue Clark. Now Clark and his co-host have been fired. The Post-Dispatch has the statement from the company which employed Clark and his co-host and which, in turn, provided their services to the radio station on which they appeared:

Early Saturday, insideSTL announced it “has terminated its relationship with Jack Clark and Kevin Slaten. As independent contractors, we want to make it clear that the opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect the opinions of insideSTL. Also as independent contractors, insideSTL did not have editorial control over the show’s content.’’

Lost in all of this is that Clark and his co-host also talked about Justin Verlander and Shawn Green, using Verlander’s alleged velocity changes over the course of single games and over the years and Green’s back acne as “evidence” that they used PEDs too. Except Clark was dead wrong about Verlander’s velocity — it is virtually unchanged in terms of the patterns in games; he has always increased velocity as the game wore on, contrary to what Clark said — and the back acne thing has been widely debunked by dermatologists as a PED-signifier.

I’d say Clark should have been fired for that speculation alone, but clearly Pujols’ reaction and the publicity that came about as a result yesterday was what cost them their jobs.

And in case you missed it, Pujols’ statement denying PED use was forceful and specific. Much different than what you typically hear from players accused of PED use”

“I’ve said time and time again that I would never take, or even consider taking, anything illegal,’’ Pujols said. “I’ve been tested hundreds of times throughout my career and never once have I tested positive. It is irresponsible and reckless for Jack Clark to have falsely accused me of using PEDs. My faith in Jesus Christ, and my respect for this game are too important to me. I would never be able to look my wife or kids in the eye if I had done what this man is accusing me of.

“I know people are tired of athletes saying they are innocent, asking for the public to believe in them, only to have their sins exposed later down the road. But I am not one of those athletes, and I will not stand to have my name and my family’s name, dragged through the mud. I am currently in the process of taking legal action against Jack Clark and his employers at WGNU (920 AM).

“I am going to send a message that you cannot act in a reckless manner, like they have, and get away with it. If I have to be the athlete to carry the torch and pave the way for other innocent players to see that you can do something about it, I am proud to be that person.

“I have five young children and I take being a role model very seriously. The last thing I want is for the fans, and especially the kids out there, to question my reputation and character.”

Latest Posts
  1. VIDEO: Mookie Betts robs Jacoby Ellsbury of extra bases with leaping catch

Aug 1, 2014, 11:19 PM EDT

mookie betts

Not bad for a guy who has mostly played second base in pro ball.

2. Carlos Gonzalez exits game after aggravating ankle injury

Aug 1, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT

Carlos Gonzalez AP AP

Carlos Gonzalez sprained his ankle last Saturday and he aggravated the injury tonight while making a sliding catch.

3. John Lackey intends to honor contract and pitch at major league minimum salary in 2015

Aug 1, 2014, 9:27 PM EDT

John Lackey AP AP

John Lackey will pitch at the major league minimum next season due to a clause in his contract.

4. Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year

Aug 1, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT

Matt Cain AP AP

Matt Cain hasn’t made a decision on elbow surgery, but Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect him to pitch again this year.

5. Brewers scratch Jimmy Nelson from Saturday’s start due to a “blister”

Aug 1, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT

Brewers logo

The Brewers have scratched rookie right-hander Jimmy Nelson from Saturday’s start, but it mostly looks like a convenient excuse to manipulate their rotation this weekend.

6. Brett Lawrie begins minor league rehab assignment tonight

Aug 1, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT

Brett Lawrie AP AP

Brett Lawrie has been sidelined since June 22 due to a broken right index finger.

7. Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery

Aug 1, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT

Matt Harvey Getty Getty Images

Mets right-hander Matt Harvey threw off a mound today for this first time since he underwent Tommy John reconstructive surgery on his right elbow last October.

8. Marlins place Henderson Alvarez on the disabled list

Aug 1, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT

henderson alvarez getty Getty Images

Henderson Alvarez has followed up last year’s no-hitter by being one of the best pitchers in the National League this season, but the Marlins have placed the 24-year-old right-hander on the disabled list with shoulder inflammation.

9. Orioles sign Joe Saunders

Aug 1, 2014, 5:19 PM EDT

saunders getty Getty Images

Earlier this week the Royals became the fourth team to release Joe Saunders this season and the 33-year-old left-hander has already found a fifth organization, signing a minor-league deal with the Orioles.

10. Gammons: the Pirates may have made an offer for David Price that was “greater in terms of talent”

Aug 1, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT

Division Series - Tampa Bay Rays v Boston Red Sox - Game Two Getty Images

But the determining factor was likely the Rays’ belief that they can contend in 2015.

11. Austin Jackson’s arrival in Seattle pushes James Jones back to the minors

Aug 1, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT

James Jones Mariners AP

James Jones has been the Mariners’ starting center fielder since making his MLB debut in mid-April, logging more than 300 plate appearances, but now the 25-year-old is headed back to Triple-A following yesterday’s trade for Tigers center fielder Austin Jackson.

12. See your team’s logo Star Wars-ized

Aug 1, 2014, 4:32 PM EDT

Click Here large

Apologies if the team you root for got a prequel logo. Braves got Boba Fett, though, so I’m happy.

13. Cardinals demote Carlos Martinez to Triple-A

Aug 1, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT

Colorado Rockies v St. Louis Cardinals Getty Images

Carlos Martinez is no longer needed in St. Louis’ rotation following trades for Justin Masterson and John Lackey, but rather than shifting him back to the bullpen the Cardinals have decided to send the 22-year-old right-hander to Triple-A.

14. Red Sox designate Mike Carp for assignment

Aug 1, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT

Mike Carp AP

Mike Carp reportedly requested a trade from the Red Sox last week, but after failing to find a taker before yesterday’s deadline they’ve designated him for assignment.

15. HBT Daily: Winners and losers at the trade deadline

Aug 1, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT

HBT Daily Logo

We won’t really know for sure for some time, but for now let us offer knee jerk reactions!

16. Angels place Tyler Skaggs on the disabled list

Aug 1, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT

Tyler Skaggs Getty Getty Images

Tyler Skaggs exited Thursday’s start in the fifth inning with forearm tightness and now the Angels have placed the 22-year-old left-hander on the disabled list.

17. A’s release Jim Johnson, eat $10 million salary

Aug 1, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT

Jim Johnson A's AP

Johnson saved 50-plus games in each of the previous two seasons, leading the league both years, but this season he posted a 6.92 ERA in 38 appearances for the A’s while almost immediately being stripped of closing duties.

18. Jose Bautista, Casey Janssen “frustrated” and “disappointed” by Blue Jays’ lack of trade deadline activity

Aug 1, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT

Jose Bautista Jose Bautista

Toronto was 38-24 and in first place by six games on June 6, but the Blue Jays have gone 22-26 since then and general manager Alex Anthopoulos did nothing at the trade deadline yesterday.

19. Empty Yesterday: Kansas City’s trade deadline day

Aug 1, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

Dayton Moore, David Glass Getty Images

The Royals just had an infuriating trade deadline day.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline