Aug 10, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Just an example of how social media can bring fans and players closer. Even under unfortunate circumstances.
Derek Lendosky, a 9-year-old boy from Fennimore, WI, was killed in an accident last Sunday. He was a Blue Jays and Jose Bautista fan. His father tweeted to Bautista on Wednesday:
@JoeyBats19 On Friday I will be burying my 9yr old son. He will be wearing his Bautista jersey and taking a ball you gave him with him.
— Steve Lendosky (@iamlongball) August 7, 2013
Bautista responded to Mr. Lendosky, offering condolences on his family’s loss. Then:
— Jose Bautista (@JoeyBats19) August 9, 2013
The Jays lost, but Bautista hit a homer and two doubles. After the game Lendosky thanked Bautista:
@JoeyBats19 Now that I have time, thank you so much for this gesture. This gesture means so much to so many. You have no idea. Thank you.
— Steve Lendosky (@iamlongball) August 9, 2013
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 58
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 63
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade (78)