Aug 10, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Just an example of how social media can bring fans and players closer. Even under unfortunate circumstances.
Derek Lendosky, a 9-year-old boy from Fennimore, WI, was killed in an accident last Sunday. He was a Blue Jays and Jose Bautista fan. His father tweeted to Bautista on Wednesday:
@JoeyBats19 On Friday I will be burying my 9yr old son. He will be wearing his Bautista jersey and taking a ball you gave him with him.
— Steve Lendosky (@iamlongball) August 7, 2013
Bautista responded to Mr. Lendosky, offering condolences on his family’s loss. Then:
— Jose Bautista (@JoeyBats19) August 9, 2013
The Jays lost, but Bautista hit a homer and two doubles. After the game Lendosky thanked Bautista:
@JoeyBats19 Now that I have time, thank you so much for this gesture. This gesture means so much to so many. You have no idea. Thank you.
— Steve Lendosky (@iamlongball) August 9, 2013
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17