Ken Griffey, Jr. inducted into Mariners Hall of Fame

Aug 10, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT

Ken Griffey Jr., Marilyn Niehaus, Randy Johnson, Edgar Martinez, Alvin Davis AP

Outfielder Ken Griffey, Jr. was inducted into the Mariners Hall of Fame at Safeco Field this evening, an event which preceded the team’s game against the Brewers. Griffey, often known as “Junior”, spent 13 of his 22 years in the Majors with the Mariners, hitting 417 of his 630 career home runs and helping usher in an era of prosperity, something not previously seen by the Mariners franchise dating back to 1977.

Griffey had a number of unforgettable moments in his career, from milestone home runs to great catches, but perhaps none more memorable than when he scored the winning run in the 11th inning of Game 5 of the 1995 American League Division Series against the Yankees. Though the Mariners were knocked out of the playoffs in the ALCS against the Indians, the Mariners would reach the post-season again in 1997, when they lost the ALDS in four games to the Orioles.

As Griffey approached free agency, the Mariners made a very tough decision and opted to trade him to the Reds in February 2000. The trade brought in their center fielder of the future in Mike Cameron, who helped the Mariners set a Major League record with 116 wins in 2001. Cameron, however, could never fill the rather large shoes vacated by Griffey.

Had injuries not interfered with his career, Griffey almost certainly would have joined the 700 home run club along with Barry Bonds, Hank Aaron, and Babe Ruth. Nevertheless, he retired as one of the best players not only of his generation but of all-time.

Congratulations to Junior for his induction into the Mariners Hall of Fame.

1. adamontheair - Aug 10, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Great recap. I like this line: “Nevertheless, he retired as one of the best players not only of his generation but of all-time.”

Nailed it.

2. unclemosesgreen - Aug 10, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Congrats to The Kid. One of my alltime favorites even tho I’m an east-coaster and Sawks fan. Not the slightest hint of PED taint on him either.

• genericcommenter - Aug 11, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Are you sure? He did gain weight in his 30s, after all. That’s just not something I’ve ever seen happen with any of my non-PED friends or family.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 11, 2013 at 5:27 PM

/s people – sarcasm font

3. elwaysmilehighdenver - Aug 10, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Junior = Class. Congratulations KGJr.

4. elwaysagenius - Aug 10, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Would I be rediculous to call him the best player of all time? (Steroids and era played in being taken into effect?)

• asimonetti88 - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM

He was a great player. If not for injuries, perhaps he could have been in the argument for best player of all time. As is, he is “only” one of the best players of all time and a surefire Hall of Famer.

• cohnjusack - Aug 11, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Yes…yes it would.

Griffey was great and all, but his 83 ranks behind Chipper Jones, Albert Pujols, Wade Boggs…and pretty far behind Aaron, Mays, Cobb, etc.

No, he’ll just have to settle for being insanely ridiculously great, beloved by most everybody and one of the very few steroid-era players who will go into the Hall with virtually no argument.

Man, what a loser.

5. scottychicago - Aug 10, 2013 at 10:03 PM

injuries prevented that from coming true

6. sharksfan754 - Aug 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I grew up a A’s fan in the bay area but Jr was my favorite player. I modeled my swing after him as best I could. Obviously I didn’t get the results he did.

7. jaysfan64 - Aug 10, 2013 at 10:49 PM

He’s still the best all around player I’ve ever seen…a human highlight reel…

8. fasteddiethec - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Junior played the game with such a youthful enthusiasm .. he was so exciting to watch .. and he had the sweetest swing EVER .. and I agree with jaysfan64 .. he was and still is the best all-around player ever .. Congrats to #24 .. The Kid!

9. diehardcubbiefan4life - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Next stop: Cooperstown. Congrats to The Kid

10. dutchman45 - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Congrats to one of the best players I have seen in watching 50 years of baseball. Junior accomplished much doing things the right way. It was a pleasure an honor to watch him play. He was truly a five star player.

11. ohmygawd718 - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Man, this guy’s career fell off once he left the Mariners.

12. lanjoith - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Argue if you must but IMO he had the best swing of all time. Period. I’m 39 and can still remember when i started watching my Padres with my grandma in the late 70’s. in my 30+ years of watching baseball I have never seen a player with a sweeter swing than Junior. As a left-hander myself, I always tried to emulate his swing.

13. gorgias79 - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:50 PM

He was never the same after the nerve tonic…

14. scmorg1974 - Aug 11, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Perhaps the greatest left-handed swings of all time.

15. fearthehoody - Aug 11, 2013 at 12:38 AM

The greatest Offensive player in M’s history, gets elected to M’s HOF, and what a surprise the Mariners get blanked 10-0. Oh how a miss the good ol days! But hey like Jack Z says, the future is coming! May be not in 2013, 2014, 2018….. but its coming!

16. multiplemiggs - Aug 11, 2013 at 2:20 AM

who is ken griffey jr.?

17. multiplemiggs - Aug 11, 2013 at 2:20 AM

hahaa im jk congrats King of Swing!

18. penzfan329 - Aug 11, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Imagine if he had a full healthy career

19. imthedudedude - Aug 11, 2013 at 3:59 AM

This guy did things right. I love this man. He is the only one I trust played the game clean through his career. Respect!

20. RoyHobbs39 - Aug 11, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Will his HOF plaque have his hat on backwards?

21. awesometube - Aug 11, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Reblogged this on Awesome Tube.

22. ndnut - Aug 11, 2013 at 3:07 PM

N64
    “Hi! I’m Ken Griffey Jr. Let’s play Major League Baseball.”
    #MyChildhood.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2967)