Aug 10, 2013, 10:37 PM EDT
Before Braves reliever Jordan Walden uncorked a wild pitch with a runner on third base in the top of the ninth tonight, the Marlins hadn’t scored since the fifth inning on Thursday against the Pirates. As Adeiny Hechavarria crossed home plate on the errant pitch, he broke a scoreless tie, allowing for closer Steve Cishek to nail down the save.
Tonight’s game was a pitcher’s duel through and through. Braves starter Alex Wood held the Fish scoreless through six innings, allowing just two hits and one walk while striking out seven. Marlins starter Nate Eovaldi was even better, shutting the Braves out over seven, allowing one hit and three walks while striking out eight. Both bullpens held the opposition down, Walden’s mistake aside.
Marlins outfielder Justin Ruggiano continued his extensive offensive slump. An 0-for-3 night left him hitless in his last 41 at-bats. His last hit came more than a month ago on July 8. The record for most consecutive hitless at-bats is 46, set by Eugenio Velez — then of the Dodgers — in September 2011.
The Braves, by the slimmest of margins, finally have their 14-game winning streak snapped. They lose for the first time since July 25 against the Mets.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)