Aug 10, 2013, 10:37 PM EDT
Before Braves reliever Jordan Walden uncorked a wild pitch with a runner on third base in the top of the ninth tonight, the Marlins hadn’t scored since the fifth inning on Thursday against the Pirates. As Adeiny Hechavarria crossed home plate on the errant pitch, he broke a scoreless tie, allowing for closer Steve Cishek to nail down the save.
Tonight’s game was a pitcher’s duel through and through. Braves starter Alex Wood held the Fish scoreless through six innings, allowing just two hits and one walk while striking out seven. Marlins starter Nate Eovaldi was even better, shutting the Braves out over seven, allowing one hit and three walks while striking out eight. Both bullpens held the opposition down, Walden’s mistake aside.
Marlins outfielder Justin Ruggiano continued his extensive offensive slump. An 0-for-3 night left him hitless in his last 41 at-bats. His last hit came more than a month ago on July 8. The record for most consecutive hitless at-bats is 46, set by Eugenio Velez — then of the Dodgers — in September 2011.
The Braves, by the slimmest of margins, finally have their 14-game winning streak snapped. They lose for the first time since July 25 against the Mets.
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 25
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (185)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)