Aug 10, 2013, 7:15 PM EST
Per the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Matt Gelb, the Phillies were impressed by starter Roy Halladay‘s performance in a simulated game this morning. Gelb says that the signs indicate Halladay will make a Minor League start on Thursday, the next step in his road back from surgery on his right shoulder.
More from Gelb:
Halladay will throw a bullpen session Monday in Clearwater. If he emerges from that without a hitch, his official rehab assignment should start. Amaro said Halladay’s fastball sat in the “mid-to-upper 80s pretty consistently.” He added the team was more concerned about Halladay’s mechanics — specifically his arm slot — and the reports were favorable.
Halladay had an abysmal start to the season, posting an 8.65 ERA over his first seven starts before it was revealed he had a number of issues involving his shoulder, including bone spurs, a frayed labrum, and a partial tear of the rotator cuff.
Now 36 years old, Halladay is eligible to become a free agent after the season. A return near the beginning of September would give him four or five starts to audition for potential suitors. He is playing out the last year of a three-year, $60 million contract signed with the Phillies in December 2009.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 41
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)