Aug 10, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
Per the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Matt Gelb, the Phillies were impressed by starter Roy Halladay‘s performance in a simulated game this morning. Gelb says that the signs indicate Halladay will make a Minor League start on Thursday, the next step in his road back from surgery on his right shoulder.
More from Gelb:
Halladay will throw a bullpen session Monday in Clearwater. If he emerges from that without a hitch, his official rehab assignment should start. Amaro said Halladay’s fastball sat in the “mid-to-upper 80s pretty consistently.” He added the team was more concerned about Halladay’s mechanics — specifically his arm slot — and the reports were favorable.
Halladay had an abysmal start to the season, posting an 8.65 ERA over his first seven starts before it was revealed he had a number of issues involving his shoulder, including bone spurs, a frayed labrum, and a partial tear of the rotator cuff.
Now 36 years old, Halladay is eligible to become a free agent after the season. A return near the beginning of September would give him four or five starts to audition for potential suitors. He is playing out the last year of a three-year, $60 million contract signed with the Phillies in December 2009.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 1
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)