Aug 10, 2013, 8:30 AM EDT
The National League East has become a one-lane comfort cruise. The Braves topped the Marlins 5-0 last night at Turner Field to extend their winning streak to 14 games.
Brandon Beachy tossed eight scoreless innings for his first win since Tommy John surgery last June. He gave up just three hits and one walk while striking out six. There are questions about the Braves’ rotation, but if Beachy manages to regain his form down the stretch, that would be a big boost come postseason time. Remember, Beachy had a 3.07 ERA in 41 starts in the majors prior to the surgery.
The Braves got all of their offense last night from the home run ball, as Justin Upton and Chris Johnson went deep in the bottom of the first inning while Brian McCann connected for a solo blast in the third. After hitting just four home runs in 77 games between April 28 and the end of July, Upton has amassed six of them through eight games so far this month.
With a win later today, the Braves would tie for their longest winning streak (2000) since the team moved to Atlanta. They currently hold a 15 1/2 game lead over the Nationals, with their first division crown since 2005 looking like an inevitability.
Your Friday box scores:
Tigers 3, Yankees 4 (10 innings)
Orioles 5, Giants 2 (10 innings)
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)