The Rays blow a 6-0 lead, are stunned by the Dodgers in the ninth

Aug 10, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT

Tampa Bay Rays v Los Angeles Dodgers Getty Images

Things which make me wish I didn’t watch “Wayne’s World” and fall asleep on the couch at 11pm last night: the Dodgers-Rays game.

The Dodgers found themselves down 6-0 heading into the bottom of the seventh last night, but then scored one in the seventh, two in the eighth and four in the ninth to stun the Tampa Bay Rays 7-6.

The winning run came on what should have been an inning-ending double play when Fernando Rodney did this with a comebacker:

Of course it shouldn’t have even gotten to that point. By then Rodney had blown a three-run lead. He was helped by the Rays’ defense, which allowed an unearned run to score off of an otherwise impressive David Price in the seventh. Then Jake McGee, Josh Lueke and Joel Peralta combined to allow a couple more in the eighth, setting the stage for Rodney’s awful inning.

As for the Dodgers: they have been living a charmed life since June. Put them together with the seemingly equally charmed Pirates and a Braves team that has looked like a juggernaut of late, and the National League playoffs are shaping up to be all kinds of fun.

1. nbjays - Aug 10, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Ouch! That hurts when the Red Sox had already blown a lead against the Royals and lost.

‘burgie is not going to be happy, and Unk Mo Green will be relentless. It ain’t going to be pretty.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Especially because the last thing I saw before going to bed was ‘burgie trash-talking me on the closing gap between the Sawks and the floating devil carpets. So … yeah – that happened, and it’s still not over. Tale as old as time – never celebrate before you break the plane on the end zone – Don Beebe could be gaining on you.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:27 AM

“You remind me of an obnoxious stupid kid I broke the same 2 fingers on 2 different times. But at least he earned my respect by having the courage to stand there and take his beating.”

– Internet Tough guy Unclemosegreen
        BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What a massive tool

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 10, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Also I was unclear – I broke my fingers on his head two different times. I didn’t break his fingers, he broke my hand with his face and head (2nd time he ducked – ha ha)

• indaburg - Aug 10, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I wasn’t trash talking last night… I didn’t know unclemo was so delicate.

Boston still lost, and I can still take pleasure in that. And I do. So there. Anyhow, it could be worse. The Rays could be three games back. It’s just one blown game. Two games back in early August. I’ll take it. We play head to head a few more times. We’ll catch you, dirty socks, and wash you good. Hang you out to dry in the warm Rays of the sun. (See, now I’m trash talking! :-P A good workout does wonders.)

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Tough day for Dr. Fausto – and I like the Sawks’ pitching matchup tonight. Could be 3….

• indaburg - Aug 10, 2013 at 1:06 PM

And what is this “end zone” you speak of?

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 10, 2013 at 1:07 PM

OG would be mad about that too. Mixing sport metaphors is frowned upon.

• Old Gator - Aug 10, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I love those frozen San Francisco Style Mixed Metaphors in the handy peel-open pouch. Just break the ice and serve.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 10, 2013 at 7:12 PM

But I know I broke a rule – the fourth wall – the fifth dentist – I can’t remember.

• indaburg - Aug 10, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Je suis inconsolable.

I’ve been in mourning all morning. Tell me that didn’t happen. I was watching the game, and fell asleep with the television on. I had been up since 5:30 am–nurse’s hours so I fell asleep on the sofa. Stupid Pacific coast game. The Rays had the lead, 6-3 at that point. The Rapist was blowing it. I know Rodney ultimately but this is all the rapist’s fault. Having a rapist in your bullpen is very bad luck.

• historiophiliac - Aug 10, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Feel free to console yourself by watching the Tigers in action. That Anibal Sanchez is pretty cute. He’s got good hair and a nice K rate.

• indaburg - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I do console myself with Anibal. He’s one of my fantasy league pitchers. You know what’s really cute about him? His K/9 rate. It is just dreamy. I sure did miss him when he was hurt. He did very nicely today, I must say.

2. Old Gator - Aug 10, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Feesh move. That is not the team the Razed want to impersonate.

Or maybe Pazuzu just jumped from the Pirates to the Razed this season? Muaaaahahahahahah….

3. kash71 - Aug 10, 2013 at 10:38 AM

As a Dodger fan I am very grateful that David Price didn’t pitch the whole game.

• lew24 - Aug 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I was so pissed watching Puig missing his cutoff multiple times that I turned the game off. Fortunately I caught the bottom if the ninth!

4. Bob Loblaw - Aug 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 10, 2013 at 10:47 AM

If the Cardinals will only need to win 1 of 4 in a series against the Dodgers to make the World Series, then sure, why not.

• Bob Loblaw - Aug 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Right, because as the Cardinals have shown the last two times they won the World Series (2006 as an 83 game winner and 2011 as a Wild Card), the regular season is a perfect indicator as to how the playoffs are going to go. Of course, if you think the games are played on paper by a bunch of robots, then yeah, I guess the team with the best record will breeze through the playoffs into the World Series. I’ll choose to go with learning from history and wouldn’t bet against the Cardinals.

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I don’t think the game is played on paper. The Dodgers just left St. Louis having won 3 of 4. If that was a post-season series, the Dodgers would be moving on, and not the Cardinals. Is that too recent of history to contemplate their 2013 World Series compatibility?

• Bob Loblaw - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Like I said, the regular season is ALWAYS an indicator of what happens in the playoffs. ALWAYS.

I guess come October, if the Cardinals are breaking someone’s fans hearts like they did the 102-win Phillies fans in 2011, then we will see whether I was right or not.

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Bob, you were talking about how the Cards are primed to take this regular season because of the Pirates, Braves, and Dodgers having 3 of the 5 spots of the playoffs. Unless I misread what you wrote, but I’m looking at it right now. “With teams like the Dodgers, Pirates, and Braves looking like they are going to make the NL playoffs, it’s looking like the Cardinals are going to be making another trip to the World Series.” Except, and this is my point, the Dodgers just won 3 of 4 from the Cards last week.

Scott Baio is great on Arrested Development. We can agree on that.

• Bob Loblaw - Aug 10, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I didn’t say a single word about the regular season. Did you see the words “regular season” in my post? I was talking about the NL Playoffs. I said “World Series” which has ZERO to do with the regular season. The NL playoff teams are basically set. With Pirates, Braves, and Dodgers locks and the Cardinals likely playing the Reds in the one-game playoff. So in that scenario, it looks to me like the Cardinals are going to be making another trip to the World Series.

I didn’t think I had to spell it completely out, but I guess I did. My bad.

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 10, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I’m not going to breakdown your post for you. Obviously, you need to work on expressing yourself better. Or you can learn about not giving a shit what someone has to say about your baseball blog comments.

I tend to go that route, but you seem somewhat special to me.

• escapingexile - Aug 10, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Come on, Koufax. Don’t you know 2011 is always a perfect indicator of 2013? I mean good grief, look at all the holdovers from that team…. Carpenter is still pitching great, as are Edwin Jackson and Kyle Lhose. Furcal still has a cannon at short and Schumaker and Punto are still doing the little things. When you got Berkman and Pujols to drive those guys in, it’s a wrap. It’s like history is repeating itself right before our eyes…..

• Bob Loblaw - Aug 10, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Yeah the more experienced team never wins. And the up and comers always win. When the cardinals beat the pirates, dodgers and / or the braves I expect that you will admit I was right. Of course, considering none of you have the class to do so and never have, I wont hold my breath. But if the Cardinals get knocked out by a team like the pirates or dodgers, you know I’ll be on here admitting I was wrong. Because I have class.

5. escapingexile - Aug 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Thanks for honoring my twitter request, Craig. It’s Saturday, I’m working, and this just killed a few minutes.
    I don’t know what’s in the water at the Ravine. These boys have been on some kind of run for quite some time. It’s amazing to watch. The disappointments of the previous three seasons, followed by the McCourt debacle, and even the start of this year have been replaced by an unwavering feeling of hope and optimism. While it’s unlikely that they can keep it up for the remainder of the year at this blistering pace, I for one will enjoy the ride while at lasts.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Fuck yeah Dodgers fans – go crazy. You went from the War of the Boston Parking Magnates to Guggenheim Partners and Magic. No matter what happens this year, better days are surely ahead. T.V. contract dollars are actually being spent on baseball players instead of divorce lawyers – times are good in Tinseltown.

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Unk Mo: Cardinal’s fans “go crazy.” Dodgers fans “don’t believe what they just saw.”

I thought you old people knew this stuff?

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:46 AM

East coast bias I’m afraid.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:27 AM

– Internet Tough guy Unclemosegreen
        BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What a massive tool

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Who gave you a picture of my dick you filthy monkey?

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:48 AM

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:55 AM

What kind of pathetic pissant would come up with not one but TWO completely unfunny south park references as alt id’s to attack one person and ignore baseball almost entirely? The adderall-addled babyfucker, that’s what kind of pathetic pissant.

No wonder you’re always ranting about meds and posting comments on headlines without reading articles.

How sad.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I’m not your buddy, imnotyourbuddyguy, stop obsessing about my massive tool.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM

come to think of it – why don’t you be my first honorary guest troll on the blog you like to make fun of? I’m interested to see what monkey thoughts you can poop and fling.

• indaburg - Aug 10, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Massive tool? I thought you were Irish?

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 10, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Classic. Luckily I’m an Irish mutt.

Love my new little buddy.

• indaburg - Aug 10, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Ah, the curse skipped you.

He’s not your buddy. He’s not my buddy. He’s a horse’s arse.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 10, 2013 at 2:11 PM

The one true Irish curse is whiskey, and I’d say more of it has skipped through me than past me.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 10, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Wouldja believe that I see the seeds of something half-good in that ridiculous twerp? What a glass half-full moron I am.

• indaburg - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Too funny. I tend to do the same with people. He’s kinda funny, I suppose. He’s not my buddy though.

3 games back. These Dodgers, they are as advertised.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 11, 2013 at 7:13 AM

I’ve noticed about 15% lucidity and a few odd indications of awareness on his part. Ah well.

LAD are good and they are deep – they got the real Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez is still Gonzo. They have a little or a lot of everything you need to win.

• indaburg - Aug 11, 2013 at 7:47 AM

And The Claw. Don’t forget The Claw. He’s my crown jewel fantasy pitcher. Today my loyalty gets tested. I’m afraid my Rays will be swept.

The Clavicle is pretty good too.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 11, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Plus they picked up Reecky.

Tonight all depends on which Hellboy shows up. He actually put together 7 good starts in a row before the last 2 stinkahs.

6. gabeguterres - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM

If the dodgers were an ice cream flavor, they’d be pralines and dick.

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Well, if you were an orifice, you’d be a horse’s ass.

Then again….

• deefig - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Your favorite flavor?

• Anoesis - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM

And you’d be ordering a triple cone to practice your skills.

• gabeguterres - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Just a Wayne’s World reference, people.

7. pop562 - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I wonder what creative line up Donnie’s going to come up with today.

8. raysfan1 - Aug 10, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Oi. That’s it, just oi.

9. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins - Aug 10, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I know that Captain Hindsight to the rescue has a lot to do with what I’m about to say, but I really do wish Maddon just would have let Price at least go into the 8th. Normally 7 innings with a 6-1 lead is going to be just fine, but against a team as hot as the Dodgers I’d prefer to not take that risk – especially when you look at our next 2 pitchers, Hernandez and Hellickson. If we’re lucky enough to be in those games at all, we’re absolutely going to need our relievers to be fresh. I know 99 pitches gets Maddon’s heart beating a little faster, but it really isn’t that much for Price, especially when you consider how fresh he is due to the injury that kept him out for about a month and a half.

I’m certainly not placing this on Maddon, as the majority of the blame goes to Rodney and the other relievers not named Peralta. But I do believe he’s far too quick to pull the starters and this game was a prime example of that. Let your ace take care of business and don’t allow a dangerous team like the Dodgers to get any ounce of momentum going.

10. losanginsight - Aug 10, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Just another W for the 1st place LA Dodgers. No big deal

11. moogro - Aug 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Walked away after Ethier’s broken bat double play by the invincible looking Price and down 6-1 or 6-0. Walked back into 6-5, Punto on second and the water running quickly down the drain for Rodney. He was so obviously rattled you just knew if he stayed they would lose. Sho ’nuff. Strange decision by Madden.

I’ve never watched Dodgers Live post-game before, and I never will again. Those guys are idiots. Two white guys ranting on and on about Rodney’s hat turned askew and the tough guy punishments they would do to Puig for the stupid throws were like fingernails on the chalkboard. Their answer: They said they would immediately bench Puig and move Adrian Gonzalez there. And no video of the game recap, just endless loops of the Adrian Gonzalez celebrations. Los Angeles deserves better.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3590)