Aug 10, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Things which make me wish I didn’t watch “Wayne’s World” and fall asleep on the couch at 11pm last night: the Dodgers-Rays game.
The Dodgers found themselves down 6-0 heading into the bottom of the seventh last night, but then scored one in the seventh, two in the eighth and four in the ninth to stun the Tampa Bay Rays 7-6.
The winning run came on what should have been an inning-ending double play when Fernando Rodney did this with a comebacker:
Of course it shouldn’t have even gotten to that point. By then Rodney had blown a three-run lead. He was helped by the Rays’ defense, which allowed an unearned run to score off of an otherwise impressive David Price in the seventh. Then Jake McGee, Josh Lueke and Joel Peralta combined to allow a couple more in the eighth, setting the stage for Rodney’s awful inning.
As for the Dodgers: they have been living a charmed life since June. Put them together with the seemingly equally charmed Pirates and a Braves team that has looked like a juggernaut of late, and the National League playoffs are shaping up to be all kinds of fun.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 16
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 4
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 50
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)