Aug 10, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Things which make me wish I didn’t watch “Wayne’s World” and fall asleep on the couch at 11pm last night: the Dodgers-Rays game.
The Dodgers found themselves down 6-0 heading into the bottom of the seventh last night, but then scored one in the seventh, two in the eighth and four in the ninth to stun the Tampa Bay Rays 7-6.
The winning run came on what should have been an inning-ending double play when Fernando Rodney did this with a comebacker:
Of course it shouldn’t have even gotten to that point. By then Rodney had blown a three-run lead. He was helped by the Rays’ defense, which allowed an unearned run to score off of an otherwise impressive David Price in the seventh. Then Jake McGee, Josh Lueke and Joel Peralta combined to allow a couple more in the eighth, setting the stage for Rodney’s awful inning.
As for the Dodgers: they have been living a charmed life since June. Put them together with the seemingly equally charmed Pirates and a Braves team that has looked like a juggernaut of late, and the National League playoffs are shaping up to be all kinds of fun.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 0
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)