The Yankees are disciplining A-Rod for seeking a second opinion on his quad

Aug 10, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT

alex rodriguez getty Getty Images

It all seems so quaint compared to his 211-game suspension by Major League Baseball, but Alex Rodriguez is being disciplined by the Yankees for seeking a second opinion on his strained quad without authorization from the team reports Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York.

This arises out of that fun little controversy in July when A-Rod had Dr. Michael Gross examine his MRI and then go on a little media tour opining that A-Rod’s quad wasn’t really strained. Rodriguez did not inform the Yankees in writing that he was seeking a second opinion as is required by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Of course this is more about Rodriguez trying to embarrass the team publicly with his little media offensive. If it was merely a matter of talking to a doctor in the privacy of his office this likely wouldn’t amount to anything.

Marchand’s report does not specify the discipline. If it’s a fine, I think A-Rod is good for it. If it’s a suspension, I figure it’ll be like giving a guy sentenced to 50 years in Leavenworth a couple of extra days for having his girlfriend smuggle him in a bag of Funyuns.

1. jarathen - Aug 10, 2013 at 10:53 AM

And here I thought we were out of wrinkles to add to the ugliness. Is this open contempt for A-Rod from the Yankees’ FO?

• beefytrout - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Maybe they are just worried HBT will run out of Arod articles.

2. imnotyourbuddyguy - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM

“You remind me of an obnoxious stupid kid I broke the same 2 fingers on 2 different times. But at least he earned my respect by having the courage to stand there and take his beating.”

- Internet Tough guy Unclemosegreen
    BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What a massive tool

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Aug 10, 2013 at 12:17 PM

“Also I was unclear – I broke my fingers on his head two different times. I didn’t break his fingers, he broke my hand with his face and head”

- More from Unclemose “calcium deficiency” Green

3. jfk69 - Aug 10, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Brian Cashman looking for a 200 game suspension to run concurrent with Selig’s. Throws in 3 STFU’S for good measure.
    Owners disagree as fan come out in droves to boo and cheer him. One owner noted,” This is a paradox.”
    ka ching $$$$$$

4. officialgame - Aug 10, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Why don’t they designate him for assignment then release him when he goes unclaimed? Don’t pay him then tie him up in court for say the next 10 years. At least the Yankees would get some satisfaction in jerking the jerk around.

• stevem7 - Aug 10, 2013 at 9:34 PM

That’s a great idea. With your overwhelming knowledge of contract law and collective bargaining you could represent the Yankees. I’d say you’ll keep him tied up in court for 10 minutes and then after the Yanks pay him the $100M owed to him under the contact you and the Yankees can split the $287M in punitive damages that the court awards to AROD.

5. messire3124 - Aug 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM

If you think Denise`s story is incredible…, three weeks-ago my cousins boyfriend basically also easily made $6469 working a sixteen hour week from there house and the’re buddy’s ex-wife`s neighbour did this for 7-months and brought home more than $6469 in there spare time from a computer. the tips from this address, going360.biz/?1=bo0375

6. dag1933 - Aug 10, 2013 at 3:03 PM

my worst fear would be seeing arod tie willies
    record and break lous on the last day of the season
    then i will be able to laugh at bud again

7. provguard - Aug 10, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I don’t care for A-Rod, but the Yankees are coming off more of a crook than him. This Cashman seems to be a power seeking phoney…. I wonder how Cashman would do with a team like Houston???

8. jfk69 - Aug 12, 2013 at 5:55 AM

Arod goes 2 for 4 with home run after fine.
    The Yankees now consider fining Arod on a weekly basis.
    Cashman onboard and comments..If it works. Why not. Now STFU

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5567)