Aug 10, 2013, 10:50 AM EST
It all seems so quaint compared to his 211-game suspension by Major League Baseball, but Alex Rodriguez is being disciplined by the Yankees for seeking a second opinion on his strained quad without authorization from the team reports Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York.
This arises out of that fun little controversy in July when A-Rod had Dr. Michael Gross examine his MRI and then go on a little media tour opining that A-Rod’s quad wasn’t really strained. Rodriguez did not inform the Yankees in writing that he was seeking a second opinion as is required by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Of course this is more about Rodriguez trying to embarrass the team publicly with his little media offensive. If it was merely a matter of talking to a doctor in the privacy of his office this likely wouldn’t amount to anything.
Marchand’s report does not specify the discipline. If it’s a fine, I think A-Rod is good for it. If it’s a suspension, I figure it’ll be like giving a guy sentenced to 50 years in Leavenworth a couple of extra days for having his girlfriend smuggle him in a bag of Funyuns.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)