Aug 10, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
It all seems so quaint compared to his 211-game suspension by Major League Baseball, but Alex Rodriguez is being disciplined by the Yankees for seeking a second opinion on his strained quad without authorization from the team reports Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York.
This arises out of that fun little controversy in July when A-Rod had Dr. Michael Gross examine his MRI and then go on a little media tour opining that A-Rod’s quad wasn’t really strained. Rodriguez did not inform the Yankees in writing that he was seeking a second opinion as is required by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Of course this is more about Rodriguez trying to embarrass the team publicly with his little media offensive. If it was merely a matter of talking to a doctor in the privacy of his office this likely wouldn’t amount to anything.
Marchand’s report does not specify the discipline. If it’s a fine, I think A-Rod is good for it. If it’s a suspension, I figure it’ll be like giving a guy sentenced to 50 years in Leavenworth a couple of extra days for having his girlfriend smuggle him in a bag of Funyuns.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 42
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 35
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 87
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)