We’re all sick of A-Rod yet we can’t stop watching

Aug 10, 2013, 2:20 PM EST

The crowd takes photos as New York Yankees' Rodriguez warms up to bat for first time this season as he faces Detroit Tigers in MLB American League game in New York

It’s hard to take issue with the overall thrust of Tyler Kepner’s latest at the New York Times: everyone is sick of A-Rod, but the fact is that we can’t look away:

After all these years with Rodriguez — 10 now, and very slowly counting — we are still talking about tiresome controversies of his making. We are doing so not because we want to, not because we even care much anymore. In the stands, in the clubhouse, in the executive suites, even in the press box — believe me — everyone has an acute case of A-Rod fatigue.

We continue to pay attention for one reason: Alex Rodriguez is spectacularly famous.

There is certainly a disconnect between how much we all say we’re sick of A-Rod and how much attention he is paid. Yankee Stadium was a lot closer to capacity last night than it has been. I bet the TV ratings for last night’s game were higher. The press says it’s sick of covering A-Rod, but the scene at Yankee Stadium last night was pretty nuts: multiple times the usual number of reporters and photographers than is usually on hand. I see the stats for the posts we do about Rodriguez — the posts so many of you in the comments say you’re sick of — and they have substantially higher traffic than most things we’ve been doing lately.

No one particularly likes A-Rod but I don’t think it’s at all accurate to say we have “A-Rod fatigue.” We can’t get enough, for whatever reason. He’s that restaurant Yogi Berra talked about that time: no one goes there anymore; it’s too crowded.

1. tbutler704 - Aug 10, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I love talking about A-Rod. Love it. As a Met fan, the schadenfreude is like a nice cold beer on a hot day.

2. theinconvienenttruth - Aug 10, 2013 at 2:23 PM

More like we’re sick of ARod and the media is shoving it down our throats

3. boyofzimmer - Aug 10, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Craig is ARod’s new agent, I think.

• polonelmeagrejr - Aug 11, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I’m sik of the whole thing but Craig, like someione who can’t get an old girtlfriend out of his system keeeps ocming back to him – even echewing the prionted word so he cn do video on him. I was able to reist that opportunity to focus on AROd as if i wantvideo I’ll watch Heyman of Rosenthyal on TV> Keep wrioting Craig. it’s what you do best.

4. Stiller43 - Aug 10, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I had a bad case of “A-Rod fatigue” one time…boy, that was a wild weekend! Once the chafing cleared up, I was good to go though.

5. Bob Loblaw - Aug 10, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Arod loves the attention. It’s the only reason he still even talks to the media. Any normal person would have shut out the media by now.

6. tfbuckfutter - Aug 10, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I’m not sick of it.

As someone who had A-Rod pegged as an over-polished phony douchebag a LONG time ago, I revel in every detail and story. His downfall FINALLY happening is entertaining and satisfying to me.

There are a few other athletes I feel the same way about. But A-Rod is probably top of the heap.

7. yahmule - Aug 10, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Addicts always want to believe everybody else is hooked, too. Craig needs to take about 12 steps away from the A-Rod saga.

• Craig Calcaterra - Aug 10, 2013 at 6:55 PM

The traffic on the site shows that I’m not the only addict. No one forces people to read these stories. They’re all clearly marked re: what they’re about.

• jfk69 - Aug 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Craig
        I would to thank all that delayed my commute to work yesterday while rubber necking the incident that involved Arod. I got a good look till they started setting up the privacy screen.

• sarcasticks - Aug 11, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I hope you’re right about the traffic Craig, or you’re going to get DFA’d by NBC.

8. psunick - Aug 10, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Kinda like our passion for the Kardashians, huh?

• RoyHobbs39 - Aug 10, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Who are the Kardashians?

• polonelmeagrejr - Aug 11, 2013 at 8:10 AM

They wold be the apex of the expresssion of what’s best in AMerican culture.

9. mp1113 - Aug 10, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I never started watching.

10. penzfan329 - Aug 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM

ITS THE MEDIA. US FANS DO NOT CARE!!!!!!

11. motobus - Aug 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Everyone is waiting around for the harvest.

12. nobody78 - Aug 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM

ARod is fascinating. It reminds me of Tiger Woods in golf. If you just go by his on-course performance over the last 4 years or so, we spend far too much time paying attention to him. But he’s still obviously and by far the most interesting player in golf. The objectionable behavior adds much more juice to an already-interesting story.

Right now, ARod is clearly the most interesting person in baseball: One of the greatest who ever played the game, trying to resuscitate his career at a very late stage, in the biggest media market in the country, when he’s about to break all kind of milestones, when neither MLB nor his own team seems to want him to play another game again; a guy whose personality and record-setting contracts won him disdain from all kinds of fans, even before there was a whiff of PED use; a guy whose every achievement we now question, and whose suspension is in a lot of ways the capstone to what’s been the biggest story in the sport, and maybe in sports generally, over the last 10 years. It’s fascinating, it raises hard questions about sports (which, yes, means it provokes some incredibly stupid analysis)… it’s no wonder we all think about him all the time.

And yes, I miss that we’re paying too little attention to other great stories. There’s so much great stuff going on to remind us of what we love about baseball. Mike Trout is still awesome, and, if things keep going as they have been, the Cabrera vs. Trout for MVP debate could be great again this year. Yasiel Puig is still beautiful and frustrating to watch. Mariano Rivera is having a farewell tour for the ages. The Pirates – yes, the Pirates – the PIRATES – are in first place in mid-August and look like they’re for real; they have a great shot at a playoff spot. If I could tilt the coverage back toward those, I’d love it. (Craig, I think I speak for a lot of us when I say it would be great if you made a post on the Pirates for every THREE posts on PEDs. I suppose you’d get fewer readers, though.)

But PEDs matter, and ARod matters. I wish that were different. Most of the media’s attention to him is warranted.

• gunner1970 - Aug 10, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Yet another First Ballet HOF Player that will never get in due to his PED use…

I’m certainly glad that I grew up watching a true hero of the game….Kirby Puckett

13. drewsylvania - Aug 10, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Who says? If he retired and the media quit talking about him, I’d be happy.

14. mrwillie - Aug 10, 2013 at 5:13 PM

”We’re all tired…” Craig ain’t tired of A-Rod, I’m sure he got a nice page click bonus from all A-Rod nonsense he’s written over the past month.

• Craig Calcaterra - Aug 10, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Not paid by the pageview in any way. But the pageviews show that people, in general, are not tired.

• jwbiii - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:16 PM

While you may not be getting paid by the pageview, I bet your employers are.

15. pisano - Aug 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I can stop watching him, as a matter of fact I wish the Yankees can weasel their way out of that dumb contract and send him on his way. I said a while back, the last few years of that contract would get real ugly for the Yankees. I can’t imagine paying a 42 year old player the kind of money Arod will be getting, just insane.

16. moogro - Aug 10, 2013 at 7:55 PM

His at-bats don’t look very good. He improves, I’m back in.

17. cubb1 - Aug 10, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Train wrecks are cool.

18. succulentnipples - Aug 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Sick of this guy. Sick of the meaningless media stories. Same shit. Falafel.

19. jfk69 - Aug 10, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Rule # 1 for an addict. You must realize that you have a problem.
    That said…Craig..Could you please combine all Lindsey Lohan and Arod stories. I need to lighten up on my daily required reading load.

20. jfk69 - Aug 10, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Arod wasn’t in the lineup today. Failed drug test????
    TMZ and Inquiring minds wish to know

• jwbiii - Aug 10, 2013 at 10:06 PM

The Yankees fined him a day’s pay for getting the second opinion on his MRI and missing a meeting. It probably comes with a one game suspension.

21. 1historian - Aug 10, 2013 at 11:06 PM

For an awful lot of us, Mr. c, the problem is NOT that we can’t stop watching, rather it is that writers (?) like you can’t stop WRITING.

FYI – I did NOT read the story preceding this or the other comments.

22. penzfan329 - Aug 11, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Of course theres alot of “traffic” craig. Its because thats all there is to read. How about you get off your butt and make an effort for a good column

23. hitdog042 - Aug 11, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Speak for yourself. I haven’t seen one game with him in it since his return.

• mornelithe - Aug 11, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Same. I just hope he’s out before my preferred team plays the Yankee’s, so I can have a perfect shutout season.

24. hitdog042 - Aug 11, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Ill Add: not because of him. But because The Yankees are irrelevant in the race.

25. jfk69 - Aug 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Arod interviewing C. Calcaterra for ghost writing his new autobiography…
    The Steroid Years
    A gripping tale of a much maligned and beloved sports hero who is fighting for his life as the nefarious sports commissioner tries to destroy his legacy and taint his reputation.
    This story will be told in the first person for complete accuracy and veracity.
    When asked why the book now?
    Arod responded. I must get the truth out and Craig’s unbiased reporting makes me believe he is the man for the job. They also will be many personal pictures of ME.
    Movie right are still available and Arod further stated ..Depending on the length of my suspension. I am available for a cameo role….and Madonna is too.
    Soon to be on sale at a reputable book store near you.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5083)