Aug 11, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez slugged his first home run of the 2013 season — a second-inning solo shot — Sunday off Tigers ace Justin Verlander. It was A-Rod’s 648th career homer and pushed him into a tie with Cardinals legend Stan Musial for sixth place on the all-time RBI leaderboard. Rodriguez is now just 12 home runs behind Giants great Willie Mays (660) on the all-time home run list.
Rodriguez has been suspended for 211 games (through 2014) by Major League Baseball but is in the process of appealing that sentence and may be allowed to finish out the season on the Yankees’ active roster.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 14
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 72
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 30
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)