Aug 11, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez slugged his first home run of the 2013 season — a second-inning solo shot — Sunday off Tigers ace Justin Verlander. It was A-Rod’s 648th career homer and pushed him into a tie with Cardinals legend Stan Musial for sixth place on the all-time RBI leaderboard. Rodriguez is now just 12 home runs behind Giants great Willie Mays (660) on the all-time home run list.
Rodriguez has been suspended for 211 games (through 2014) by Major League Baseball but is in the process of appealing that sentence and may be allowed to finish out the season on the Yankees’ active roster.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)