Aug 11, 2013, 3:10 PM EST
Alex Rodriguez slugged his first home run of the 2013 season — a second-inning solo shot — Sunday off Tigers ace Justin Verlander. It was A-Rod’s 648th career homer and pushed him into a tie with Cardinals legend Stan Musial for sixth place on the all-time RBI leaderboard. Rodriguez is now just 12 home runs behind Giants great Willie Mays (660) on the all-time home run list.
Rodriguez has been suspended for 211 games (through 2014) by Major League Baseball but is in the process of appealing that sentence and may be allowed to finish out the season on the Yankees’ active roster.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 30
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (115)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)