Aug 11, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez slugged his first home run of the 2013 season — a second-inning solo shot — Sunday off Tigers ace Justin Verlander. It was A-Rod’s 648th career homer and pushed him into a tie with Cardinals legend Stan Musial for sixth place on the all-time RBI leaderboard. Rodriguez is now just 12 home runs behind Giants great Willie Mays (660) on the all-time home run list.
Rodriguez has been suspended for 211 games (through 2014) by Major League Baseball but is in the process of appealing that sentence and may be allowed to finish out the season on the Yankees’ active roster.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)