Aug 11, 2013, 2:27 PM EDT
From ESPN’s Keith Law comes word that the Diamondbacks have officially promoted third base prospect Matt Davidson from Triple-A Reno.
Davidson, the 35th overall pick in the 2009 MLB Amateur Draft, was named MVP of last month’s Futures Game at Citi Field in New York after slugging a two-run homer. The 22-year-old had an .832 OPS, 16 home runs, and 68 RBI through 108 games this season in the Pacific Coast League and was a consensus Top 100 prospect at MLB.com, ESPN.com and Baseball America this past winter.
Davidson will presumably see regular action at third base, freeing up Martin Prado to play second base and the outfield.
Arizona is 4.5 games back in the hunt for the two National League Wild Card spots.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 168
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (170)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)