Aug 11, 2013, 2:27 PM EDT
From ESPN’s Keith Law comes word that the Diamondbacks have officially promoted third base prospect Matt Davidson from Triple-A Reno.
Davidson, the 35th overall pick in the 2009 MLB Amateur Draft, was named MVP of last month’s Futures Game at Citi Field in New York after slugging a two-run homer. The 22-year-old had an .832 OPS, 16 home runs, and 68 RBI through 108 games this season in the Pacific Coast League and was a consensus Top 100 prospect at MLB.com, ESPN.com and Baseball America this past winter.
Davidson will presumably see regular action at third base, freeing up Martin Prado to play second base and the outfield.
Arizona is 4.5 games back in the hunt for the two National League Wild Card spots.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)