Aug 11, 2013, 2:27 PM EDT
From ESPN’s Keith Law comes word that the Diamondbacks have officially promoted third base prospect Matt Davidson from Triple-A Reno.
Davidson, the 35th overall pick in the 2009 MLB Amateur Draft, was named MVP of last month’s Futures Game at Citi Field in New York after slugging a two-run homer. The 22-year-old had an .832 OPS, 16 home runs, and 68 RBI through 108 games this season in the Pacific Coast League and was a consensus Top 100 prospect at MLB.com, ESPN.com and Baseball America this past winter.
Davidson will presumably see regular action at third base, freeing up Martin Prado to play second base and the outfield.
Arizona is 4.5 games back in the hunt for the two National League Wild Card spots.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)