Aug 11, 2013, 2:27 PM EDT
From ESPN’s Keith Law comes word that the Diamondbacks have officially promoted third base prospect Matt Davidson from Triple-A Reno.
Davidson, the 35th overall pick in the 2009 MLB Amateur Draft, was named MVP of last month’s Futures Game at Citi Field in New York after slugging a two-run homer. The 22-year-old had an .832 OPS, 16 home runs, and 68 RBI through 108 games this season in the Pacific Coast League and was a consensus Top 100 prospect at MLB.com, ESPN.com and Baseball America this past winter.
Davidson will presumably see regular action at third base, freeing up Martin Prado to play second base and the outfield.
Arizona is 4.5 games back in the hunt for the two National League Wild Card spots.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)