Aug 11, 2013, 2:27 PM EDT
From ESPN’s Keith Law comes word that the Diamondbacks have officially promoted third base prospect Matt Davidson from Triple-A Reno.
Davidson, the 35th overall pick in the 2009 MLB Amateur Draft, was named MVP of last month’s Futures Game at Citi Field in New York after slugging a two-run homer. The 22-year-old had an .832 OPS, 16 home runs, and 68 RBI through 108 games this season in the Pacific Coast League and was a consensus Top 100 prospect at MLB.com, ESPN.com and Baseball America this past winter.
Davidson will presumably see regular action at third base, freeing up Martin Prado to play second base and the outfield.
Arizona is 4.5 games back in the hunt for the two National League Wild Card spots.
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 0
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 25
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 83
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (111)