Aug 11, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
Via the Royals official Twitter, the team has acquired infielder Jamey Carroll from the Twins for a player to be named later or cash considerations. Carroll has been used mostly at third base by the Twins this year, but has a lot of experience at second base and shortstop as well.
Carroll, now 39 years old, has posted a meager .546 OPS and -0.5 WAR this year, so he won’t be to the Royals what Marco Scutaro was to the Giants, but he can make a spot start in a pinch and he can also be used as a defensive substitution late in ballgames.
Carroll is earning $3.75 million this year and has a $2 million club option with a $250,000 buyout remaining on his contract.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)