Aug 11, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
Via the Royals official Twitter, the team has acquired infielder Jamey Carroll from the Twins for a player to be named later or cash considerations. Carroll has been used mostly at third base by the Twins this year, but has a lot of experience at second base and shortstop as well.
Carroll, now 39 years old, has posted a meager .546 OPS and -0.5 WAR this year, so he won’t be to the Royals what Marco Scutaro was to the Giants, but he can make a spot start in a pinch and he can also be used as a defensive substitution late in ballgames.
Carroll is earning $3.75 million this year and has a $2 million club option with a $250,000 buyout remaining on his contract.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 35
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 11
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)