Aug 11, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
Via the Royals official Twitter, the team has acquired infielder Jamey Carroll from the Twins for a player to be named later or cash considerations. Carroll has been used mostly at third base by the Twins this year, but has a lot of experience at second base and shortstop as well.
Carroll, now 39 years old, has posted a meager .546 OPS and -0.5 WAR this year, so he won’t be to the Royals what Marco Scutaro was to the Giants, but he can make a spot start in a pinch and he can also be used as a defensive substitution late in ballgames.
Carroll is earning $3.75 million this year and has a $2 million club option with a $250,000 buyout remaining on his contract.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)