Aug 11, 2013, 8:51 AM EDT
The largest division lead in baseball still belongs to the Braves, who have won 14 of their last 15 games and currently boast a 14 1/2-game lead over the Nationals in the NL East standings. The second-largest division lead belongs to the Tigers.
Anibal Sanchez tossed seven solid innings, Miguel Cabrera launched his 35th home run of the season and Torii Hunter drove in four as Detroit rolled to a 9-3 victory Saturday at Yankee Stadium. With the Indians dropping a sixth straight game and the Royals also losing, the Tigers’ lead in the American League Central has now climbed to eight games.
The Tigers also own by far the largest run differential in the majors at +156.
St. Louis is second at +136 and Atlanta (+125) currently ranks third.
Your Saturday recaps and box scores:
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17