Aug 11, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
Bob Brookover of the Philadelphia Inquirer suggests that the Phillies should do right by Charlie Manuel and remove the uncertainty about his future by letting him go before the season is over.
Anything other than a harmonious conclusion would be sad and shameful, because the Phillies have meant so much to Manuel and vice-versa.
If the Phillies plan on keeping Manuel around for another year, which I do not think is the case, then they should get it done.
If they’re hoping for a smooth transition from Manuel to Sandberg and the current manager knows it, then why not get that message out to the public as soon as possible?
Manuel joined the Phillies after the 2004 season. Under his leadership, the Phillies have won 779 and lost 634 (.551). The Phillies won the NL East five years in a row from 2007-11, won the World Series in 2008, and tried unsuccessfully to repeat in 2009. This season portends to be the first losing season for the Phillies since Manuel took over.
The belief is that, after the Phillies move on from Manuel, Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg — currently the third base coach and formerly the manager of the Triple-A Lehigh Valley IronPigs — will be installed as the new manager as the team begins a transitional period of sorts.
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 0
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 31
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)