Aug 11, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez is now making steady progress.
According to beat writer Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the left-hander threw fastballs and changeups in a successful 25-pitch bullpen session Saturday at Colorado’s Coors Field. “No problems,” Rodriguez told reporters after the short workout.
Rodriguez will throw another bullpen session — his third — on Wednesday in St. Louis and could then be cleared to face live hitters. “It won’t be finalized until we know how he feels tomorrow from throwing today, that’s what we kind of laid out as the plan moving forward,” manager Clint Hurdle said.
Rodriguez has been on the disabled list since June 5 because of left elbow and forearm tightness. He tried starting a minor league rehab assignment on June 24 but felt renewed discomfort in his throwing arm almost immediately and was shut down. The hope is that he can avoid setbacks this time around.
Pittsburgh entered play Sunday with a four-game lead over St. Louis in the National League Central.
Rodriguez had a 3.59 ERA, 1.12 WHIP and 46/12 K/BB ratio in 62 2/3 innings before hitting the shelf.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)