Aug 11, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez is now making steady progress.
According to beat writer Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the left-hander threw fastballs and changeups in a successful 25-pitch bullpen session Saturday at Colorado’s Coors Field. “No problems,” Rodriguez told reporters after the short workout.
Rodriguez will throw another bullpen session — his third — on Wednesday in St. Louis and could then be cleared to face live hitters. “It won’t be finalized until we know how he feels tomorrow from throwing today, that’s what we kind of laid out as the plan moving forward,” manager Clint Hurdle said.
Rodriguez has been on the disabled list since June 5 because of left elbow and forearm tightness. He tried starting a minor league rehab assignment on June 24 but felt renewed discomfort in his throwing arm almost immediately and was shut down. The hope is that he can avoid setbacks this time around.
Pittsburgh entered play Sunday with a four-game lead over St. Louis in the National League Central.
Rodriguez had a 3.59 ERA, 1.12 WHIP and 46/12 K/BB ratio in 62 2/3 innings before hitting the shelf.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)