Yadier Molina works out in his gear, on track to be activated from the disabled list Thursday

Aug 11, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT

yadier molina getty Getty Images

Via Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:

Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina (knee inflammation) donned his catching gear and worked on some drills Saturday for the first time since going on the disabled list. He also did some light sprinting. Molina continued to participate in batting practice as he looks to return from the 15-day disabled list when eligible on Thursday.

FOX Sports Midwest showed footage of Molina performing those drills and he looked pretty spry. The five-time Gold Glove winner has been on the shelf since July 31 with discomfort in his right knee.

The second-place Cardinals are 4-7 so far in Yadi’s absence and 4-13 since July 25.

1. historiophiliac - Aug 11, 2013 at 12:51 PM

LOL the pic. Good to hear Yadi is returning. I was hoping for a post-season rematch.

• paperlions - Aug 11, 2013 at 1:14 PM

At this rate, the Cardinals making the post-season is no guarantee.

• historiophiliac - Aug 11, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I love it when you’re a homer. Keep hope alive, mister.

How’s the weekend going?

• paperlions - Aug 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Dang!!!!!

I wasn’t watching….ARod goes boom! against Verlander. Was it glorious?

• historiophiliac - Aug 11, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Really? You too? You gonna make me stop talking to you as well?

• paperlions - Aug 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Sorry. With all the backlash against the guy, I’m rooting for him to hit a kagillion HRs to see if everyone’s heads explode. Him failing won’t be nearly entertaining. I still hope the Tigers win the game (Doom! and all that).

• historiophiliac - Aug 11, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I came over here to a Yadi post to say something nice, and I still get shit. /sigh

• paperlions - Aug 11, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Hey, that is all part of being one of the guys.

Remember:

1) Guys socialize by insulting one another, but they really don’t mean it.

2) Women socialize by complimenting one another, but they don’t really mean it either.

• historiophiliac - Aug 11, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I know. I have been insulting you all properly, I think. That’s all I’ll say on that.

• paperlions - Aug 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM

You are a work in progress, but you are getting there. :-)

• historiophiliac - Aug 11, 2013 at 2:32 PM

STFU, paperbag. ;)

FYI, you might be one of the only guys on here who really thinks I’m one of the guys. lol

• paperlions - Aug 11, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Atta girl!

• paperlions - Aug 11, 2013 at 2:40 PM

That is on them. Most guys don’t give women a chance to be a person because they view them all as women first and most of the stereo types that comes with (even if they are not actively misogynistic, no one is immune to potential biases).

I try to let everyone start in the same place (in multi-dimensional “person space”) and then let interactions define the person, not their superficial characteristics. I am not saying I am good at it, but it is what I try to do.

• historiophiliac - Aug 11, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Don’t let that keep you from giving me olives now. I like presents and my birthday’s coming up. ;)

I do like being female, you know, and I wasn’t trying to imply that all the dudes on here are sexist..

• paperlions - Aug 11, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I know. I’m just saying that it is difficult to switch back and forth from treating someone “female” to treating someone like “one of the guys”. You pretty much gotta pick one and go with it.

• historiophiliac - Aug 11, 2013 at 2:54 PM

And, I appreciate that you went with the latter. lol

• historiophiliac - Aug 11, 2013 at 3:31 PM

There, now you have a whole post you can go A-Rod all over.

• paperlions - Aug 11, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Well, that didn’t take long.

• historiophiliac - Aug 11, 2013 at 4:17 PM

What?

• paperlions - Aug 11, 2013 at 4:32 PM

The 2 HRs versus Cabrera…all for naught though.

• historiophiliac - Aug 11, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Rivera? Are you drinking? Have fun joining in w/ the trolls.

• paperlions - Aug 11, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Ugh, you know what I meant. Nope, not drinking…just hoping the Cardinals don’t manage to blow yet another game they should win by acting like they don’t care while waiting for the optimal time to take the dogs on a hike.

Kozma! just singled in a run with 2 outs to put the Cardinals back up by 1.

• historiophiliac - Aug 11, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Kozma!

• paperlions - Aug 11, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Holliday has been on a tear since coming off the DL. Hitting about .350, with about a .500 OBP, and slugging near .700….even stolen 3 bases.

• historiophiliac - Aug 11, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Sweet! FYI, if we win, you’re gonna hear a lot about A-Rod’s Error. Forewarning. I think Girardi made a mistake in pulling Pettitte already — not that I’m complaining.

• gibbyfan - Aug 11, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Paper –I would say ti’s probably 50/50 at best –their young pitching needs a little more development for them to be a champoinship level team—They should have hung on to Lohse instead of Westbrook –that may turn out to be the difference.

• paperlions - Aug 11, 2013 at 1:35 PM

The young pitching hasn’t actually been a problem…at least, not the starters. The hitting has sucked…they are giving away way too many ABs. During the losing streak, the pitching in general has been fine, but they’ve only had offense in a handful of those games.

• danwilliamsmlb - Aug 11, 2013 at 1:33 PM

We’re fine. They hit their “rough stretch” of the year a little later in the Summer than most teams do, but this is a very resilient team and they will take the top spot in the Central at the end of the season.

• paperlions - Aug 11, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Oh, I think the team is fine, but this is baseball. The “team” can be fine and still play like shit for a month and miss the playoffs.

I don’t consider the play-in game to be the playoffs, that game is the penalty for not winning your division, win that…and you are in the playoffs.

• spudchukar - Aug 12, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Gibby were it just a choice between Lohse and Westbrook, I am sure the brass would have chosen Lohse. The contracts weren’t the same. They were stuck with Westbrook, and turned Lohse into the 17th overall pick. In hindsight, the management probably wish the contracts were opposite, but those decisions were made over 3 years ago.

• spudchukar - Aug 12, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Hey Historio, about that rematch. Are the Tigers pitchers taking extra fielding practice.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 11, 2013 at 5:33 PM

What a sick-making bit of sycophancy, Paper. One of the guys. Because that’s all we ever do, us ‘guys’ – is talk about how guys act compared to women or towards women. Historio – your posts make it pretty damn clear you have no desire to be ‘one of the guys’ or be treated like one. Talk about wanting to have your bread pudding and eat it too.

2. okwhitefalcon - Aug 11, 2013 at 3:22 PM

The Cards starters have been bottom half of the league since June as illustrated by the following from Joe Strauss:

“A starting rotation that led the major leagues with a 2.15 April ERA and ranked second with a 3.01 May figure has slipped into gradual decline that has left it No. 21, 14, 14 and 16 the last four months. Since June 1 the starters have compiled a 4.06 ERA, leaving them 16th among 30 teams in that span.”

Combine that with the bats going silent and an overexposed bullpen and it pretty much explains why they’re at where they’re at – for now.

I wouldn’t be shocked if they caught and passed the Pirates nor would I be surprised if the Reds caught and passed the Cards.

• paperlions - Aug 11, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Part of that ERA is the Cardinals defense being horrible. All 3 OF positions are below average to horrible, and 1B has been horrible…Freese has been okay, Koz and Carpenter are really their only position players playing good defense…..the bullpen being awesome at allowing inherited runners to score hasn’t helped either…yeah, it is the starter’s fault the runner was on…but there have been plenty of “man on 1st, 2 out” situations in which the bullpen comes in and lets that guy score.

I agree that the starters have declined somewhat, seems like they are nibbling way more than they were earlier in the year….but the defense and bats have been a far bigger problem lately.

• okwhitefalcon - Aug 11, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Today is playing out to all the above.

Short outing by Kelly, overexposed Maness allowing inherited runners to score, an error by Holliday (tough sun, but still an E), bats going silent after a few early runs.

They’re 4-11 over their last 15, have played terrible against winning teams all year and aren’t beating up on the lesser teams anymore.

On the bright side, the Kozmanaut just gave the Cards an opportunity to salvage a game from the Cubs.

• paperlions - Aug 11, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Yeah, for better or worse, there have been a lot of contributing problems, not just one large glaring weakness….I still like the team/talent, but too often they seem disinterested…not sure if they are just worn down or what.

• okwhitefalcon - Aug 11, 2013 at 5:15 PM

High pitch counts, slow innings, bad defense, zero speed and very little power can definitely breed disinterested/tired play.

Maybe the influx of September call ups could infuse some life into what seems to be a lackluster atmosphere although that’s a long shot – especially with Kolten Wong being about the only guy they’re going to see they haven’t seen yet.

Oh well, at least they’re in the hunt for now – it could be a helluva lot worse.

• paperlions - Aug 11, 2013 at 5:30 PM

True.

I actually liked the starts by both Martinez and Wacha. They are young (21 and 22) and will learn to be more efficient at the MLB level, the zone is called tighter and hitters have much better recognition skills and plate discipline than the guys they’ve seen so far…but both have electric stuff that misses a lot of bats and fools hitters in the zone.

No, they are not finished products….but man, the potential for being special is there.

• spudchukar - Aug 12, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I’m a lot more excited about Martinez then Wacha. He had much more command of a fastball that has about 5 more MPH. Plus he actually has a breaking ball. I think Wacha has great make-up, but unless he hits the mitt more often, and/or actually develops a Big League breaking ball he is going to continue to struggle.

3. okwhitefalcon - Aug 11, 2013 at 5:47 PM

One at bat in Wacha’s start yesterday really gave an idea of what could be with him – first pitch curve, next pitch change then finishing him (forgot who) of with 96 mph elevated fog.

Both are exciting – it’ll be fun watching them develop.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3765)