Aug 12, 2013, 11:42 PM EDT
The Angels will welcome left-hander Jason Vargas back from the disabled list tomorrow. And not only is Tommy Hanson the odd man out in the starting rotation, Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that he has been demoted to Triple-A Salt Lake.
Such a move would have been unthinkable just a couple of years ago, but Hanson is a shell of the pitcher he was when he first came up with the Braves. With his velocity on a steady decline, the 26-year-old owns a 4.92 ERA in 52 starts since he first started dealing with shoulder issues in 2011. The Angels took a chance by acquiring him from the Braves for Jordan Walden over the winter, but he has an ugly 5.59 ERA over 13 starts this season and a career-low 6.9 K/9.
Hanson is making $3.725 million this season and will be arbitration-eligible for the second time this winter. He’s looking like a non-tender candidate.
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 0
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 11
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 130
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (130)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)