Aug 12, 2013, 11:42 PM EST
The Angels will welcome left-hander Jason Vargas back from the disabled list tomorrow. And not only is Tommy Hanson the odd man out in the starting rotation, Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that he has been demoted to Triple-A Salt Lake.
Such a move would have been unthinkable just a couple of years ago, but Hanson is a shell of the pitcher he was when he first came up with the Braves. With his velocity on a steady decline, the 26-year-old owns a 4.92 ERA in 52 starts since he first started dealing with shoulder issues in 2011. The Angels took a chance by acquiring him from the Braves for Jordan Walden over the winter, but he has an ugly 5.59 ERA over 13 starts this season and a career-low 6.9 K/9.
Hanson is making $3.725 million this season and will be arbitration-eligible for the second time this winter. He’s looking like a non-tender candidate.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)