Aug 12, 2013, 9:47 PM EDT
2013 No. 2 overall pick Kris Bryant has only been with the Cubs organization for a little over a month, but he’s already making some noise.
According to Carrie Muskat of MLB.com, the Cubs promoted Bryant to High-A Daytona today after he batted .351/.416/.692 with four home runs and 16 RBI through 77 plate appearances with Low-A Boise. The 21-year-old finished his stint in the Northwest League with a 15-game hitting streak.
After posting huge power numbers at the University of San Diego, Bryant received a $6,708,400 bonus from the Cubs last month. He’s playing third base right now, though some have speculated that he’ll end up in the outfield in the long run. Either way, he should move up the organizational ladder rather quickly.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 6
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 16
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)