Aug 12, 2013, 11:03 AM EST
ESPN has produced a documentary called “Let Them Wear Towels,” which is about the awful treatment women sports reporters received from athletes, teams, leagues and even media colleagues until way, way too damn recently. I haven’t seen it yet, but I just read Alyson Footer’s column about it and I plan to see it as soon as I can.
Footer’s column is excellent, as rather than merely review the documentary, she goes interactive and tweets as if it were 1984 and she were trying to cover the beat under the stone age rules of the time. Given how most of our interaction with beat reporters is via Twitter these days it makes the awful treatment women received way more immediate than it might otherwise. We’ve sort of been conditioned to think of all documentaries as things chronicling a long-ago past and as such even the best ones tend to put a bit of distance between us and the subject matter. Footer’s tweets — and their footnotes, which explain that those were very real things which occurred — help get around that.
Oh, two other takeaways: (1) Footer’s use of the #deuce hashtag was fantastic. I won’t say why — go read it — but having spent a lot of time in spring training clubhouses, I will vouch for the particular awfulness of a clubhouse in the morning; and (2) the fact that Bowie Kuhn is in the Hall of Fame is an absolute atrocity. I mean it, every time I think I am clear about just how loathsome a human being he was, I’m given more evidence of his loathsomeness.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 4
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 155
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 17
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)