Man dies after falling from upper deck at Turner Field

Aug 12, 2013, 11:16 PM EDT

San Francisco Giants v Atlanta Braves, Game 4 Getty Images

11:16 PM: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is now reporting that the man died after he was taken to the hospital. Just awful.

10:11 PM ET: Terrible news out of Atlanta this evening. According to Alexis Stevens of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, a man is in critical condition after falling “at least 30 feet” from an upper deck at Turner Field. His name has not been released. Police said he was transported to the hospital around 9 p.m. ET.

There aren’t many details right now, but the fall occurred during a lengthy rain delay prior to tonight’s game between the Phillies and Braves. Here’s an announcement from the team:

There was an accident earlier tonight at Turner Field with a spectator falling from the upper level. The spectator has been transported to the hospital. The Atlanta Police Department are investigating.

We’ll pass along more information when it is made available.

1. Stiller43 - Aug 12, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Lemme guess…alcohol was involved?

• historiophiliac - Aug 12, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Waffles.

2. tfbuckfutter - Aug 12, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I don’t want to be too unsympathetic….but all stadiums have more than reasonable safety measures in place.

A fall like that is caused by someone doing something stupid (be it the plunger himself or someone else causing the fall).

Unless you are exceptionally tall and the railing is well below your center of gravity. I doubt that is the case though.

Either way I am sure alcohol in no way played a role.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 12, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I havent been to the latest iteration, but the top tier of YSII was pretty steep the last time I went. I remember thinking, because the group of people I was with had a few too many to drink, that holy crap it’s steep and if you fell you might keep going.

• apkyletexas - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:26 AM

The upper bowl at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh went up at what seemed like a 60 degree angle. Probably not nearly so steep, but it seemed like it. The steps were tall, and in the 1970′s they were just concrete with none of that no-slip stuff on them. In the winter-time at the Steeler games the freezing rain would come in sometimes and whip around the bowl like a mini-hurricane, and you would hang onto the rail for dear life if you had to climb down to go to the bathroom (forget about trying to eat or drink anything at your seat). When I was young, I often thought about how one mis-step could send me flying. Scared the hell out of me.

Poor guy – terrible thing to happen to someone.

• ebartman - Aug 13, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Lived up in section 659 at Three Rivers as a kid….. Steep as hell…. The burgh is known for its sporting events and its tail gating while consuming mass consumption of alcohol….. But I’ve never heard of someone falling to their death… SO,it has to be that small factor + stupidity

NOBODY deserves to die for their sin, whether it be alcohol, stupidity, rudeness etc.., but I am positive alcohol or someone else’s ego got involved enough to put this man over the railing… Unfortunate. RIP

3. dondada10 - Aug 12, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I hope he’s okay.

• orangeandblackforlife - Aug 13, 2013 at 12:46 AM

He’s dead.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Look at the times of their well wishes. They made their comments before the post was updated.

4. cowboys8819 - Aug 12, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I hope he is ok! Prayers

• orangeandblackforlife - Aug 13, 2013 at 12:45 AM

He’s dead.

5. randygnyc - Aug 12, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Ugly. Pay hard earned money to have a good time and senseless stuff like this happens.

6. Walk - Aug 12, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Adding my prayers and best wishes for a recovery to the queue as well.

• orangeandblackforlife - Aug 13, 2013 at 12:47 AM

unfortunately he cannot recover, as he is dead.

7. tanzkommandant - Aug 12, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Too much laughing always leads to crying.

8. ikedavisnose - Aug 12, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Thoughts and Prayers to his Family and Friends………horrible horrible News

9. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 12, 2013 at 11:32 PM

RIP :(

10. ag4913 - Aug 12, 2013 at 11:33 PM

natural selection

• dondada10 - Aug 12, 2013 at 11:43 PM

If that’s the case you can’t be that far away.

• cohnjusack - Aug 13, 2013 at 3:45 AM

His ancestors passed down genes that made him more likely to fall from a great height, therefore lessens the likelihood of success of his species?

Or are you just really loose with that term?

11. comatrip1 - Aug 12, 2013 at 11:42 PM

…..shoot man. Thoughts and prayers.

12. ashtongronholz8 - Aug 12, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Darwin…

13. indaburg - Aug 12, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Awful news. My condolences to his loved ones. Whatever the circumstances iof his death, we lost a fellow baseball fan at a stadium tonight.

• raysfan1 - Aug 13, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Could not have said it better

14. ndnut - Aug 13, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Praying for the repose of this baseball fan’s soul.

15. orangeandblackforlife - Aug 13, 2013 at 12:51 AM

What I find puzzling and a bit of a head-scratcher is the TITLE of this article is “Man dies……..” and there are NUMEROUS comments/responses from people saying “I hope he’s okay!” or “pray for a speedy recovery”. Did they miss the part about the man dying?! You can’t recover or be okay if you’re already dead. This is pretty simple stuff.. smh

• Utley's Hair - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Look at the times of the comments, and the time of the update on the condition. The comments were made before the update.

• kyzslew77 - Aug 13, 2013 at 2:11 AM

This is the internet, not a newspaper. Headlines are often updated to reflect additional information as a story develops. That is what happened here, you clod. This is pretty simple stuff, smh

• carlosruiz51 - Aug 13, 2013 at 8:02 AM

What I find puzzling and abit of a head-scratcher is why were you born?? This is pretty simple stuff…smh….

16. Walk - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:02 AM

I know right? Almost as if the story was updated after the comments were made. Perhaps they should put some sort of time stamp for people to look at so some orangeandblackforlife asshat does not try to poke fun at a tragedy.

17. Stiller43 - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Orangeandblackforlife,

Hey moron, the article was initially about a man falling 30ish feet who was in critical condition…

Something you could clearly gather if you bothered to read the actual artical. Dumb ass

• theageofquarrel - Aug 13, 2013 at 8:05 AM

I am going to venture a guess that IT is a Flyer fan so you passed the right judgement.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Right…’cause there are no other teams with orange and black as their colors…like the Giants…from Frisco. And even if this poster IS a Flyers fan, that automatically means something other than the fact that he’s a Flyers fan, right? I’m a Flyers fan and I called him out for making a dumb statement—several times, mind you, but still just a stupid comment. It means nothing more than that.

18. scdocal - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Upper deck at The Ted is pretty steep. I would rather be no where else then at the ball park for my last breathe and I hope this person felt the same way. Thoughts and prayers to the family. Sad day

19. Utley's Hair - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:24 AM

This sucks. Thoughts and prayers go out to this man’s family and loved ones.

20. ashtongronholz8 - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Not everyone critically analyzes updates and comment times give him a break. As sad of a story it is, the guy was most likely intoxicated and made a dumb mistake.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:34 AM

He’s the one getting on people for not reading and comprehending the title, which obviously was edited with the update. So we should give him a break for not paying attention to details?

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 13, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Oh…. Well at least there’s a reason for you to not feel any empathy. As opposed to just being a judgmental douche. You know, I hate jumping to conclusions about folks.

21. ashtongronholz8 - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:26 AM

22. Walk - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:33 AM

“Not everyone analyzes the updates and te of comments give him a break he’s not poking fun at anything don’t try to read into things that don’t exist”

You are right I mistook all his comments to anyone wishing the person who fell prayers and hopes for a recovery as the typical behavior of a troll. By the way I recently won the lottery in my home country. I need a quarter million dollars to pay taxes if you could wire that to me we can split the money I won.

23. 1pt12era1968 - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I don’t care what the cause or who is to blame (if blame is apropos to this case) – this was heartbreaking to read and I send condolences with my deepest sympathy to all those whom were close to this man. A day or evening out at the ball park should never end in mortal injury for anyone. And to those posting sophomorically wannabe-humorous, witless, classless replies for this man’s loved ones, friends and/or associates to read: Karma is indeed a B*TCH. May it knock on your door soon.

• hockeyflow33 - Aug 13, 2013 at 2:18 AM

So your problem is that people don’t take a brutal injury seriously and to rectify the situation, you wish serious injury upon them?

24. 1pt12era1968 - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:16 AM

I don’t wish NON-serious injury upon anyone; nor did I write such a thing. What would be the appropriate Karmic justice for somebody posting insensitive remarks on a message forum about a man dying by fall at a ballpark? I’d think it would be fairly innocuous and meant to imply nothing more.

25. hojo20 - Aug 13, 2013 at 7:53 AM

How could this happen? I’ve been to 100s of baseball games and never fell off the stadium.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Congratulations. I’ve never fallen off a ladder, but that doesn’t mean I don’t know how it could happen.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5446)