Aug 12, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Baltimore might be adding a veteran bench bat for the stretch run, as Rich Dubroff of CSNBaltimore.com reports that Wilson Betemit is finally making some progress in his recovery from a spring training knee injury.
Betemit has been playing rehab games in rookie-ball and is scheduled to move up to high Single-A this week to, as manager Buck Showalter put it, play in front of “some lights and some people in the stands.”
Betemit has missed the entire season, so a big role upon returning is unlikely, but he did hit .261 with 12 homers, 19 doubles, and a .744 OPS in 102 games last season and has experience at a bunch of different positions defensively. If healthy the switch-hitter would be a nice bench addition for the Orioles.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)