Aug 12, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Baltimore might be adding a veteran bench bat for the stretch run, as Rich Dubroff of CSNBaltimore.com reports that Wilson Betemit is finally making some progress in his recovery from a spring training knee injury.
Betemit has been playing rehab games in rookie-ball and is scheduled to move up to high Single-A this week to, as manager Buck Showalter put it, play in front of “some lights and some people in the stands.”
Betemit has missed the entire season, so a big role upon returning is unlikely, but he did hit .261 with 12 homers, 19 doubles, and a .744 OPS in 102 games last season and has experience at a bunch of different positions defensively. If healthy the switch-hitter would be a nice bench addition for the Orioles.
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 7
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 50
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 88
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (88)