Aug 12, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Baltimore might be adding a veteran bench bat for the stretch run, as Rich Dubroff of CSNBaltimore.com reports that Wilson Betemit is finally making some progress in his recovery from a spring training knee injury.
Betemit has been playing rehab games in rookie-ball and is scheduled to move up to high Single-A this week to, as manager Buck Showalter put it, play in front of “some lights and some people in the stands.”
Betemit has missed the entire season, so a big role upon returning is unlikely, but he did hit .261 with 12 homers, 19 doubles, and a .744 OPS in 102 games last season and has experience at a bunch of different positions defensively. If healthy the switch-hitter would be a nice bench addition for the Orioles.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)