Aug 12, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Baltimore might be adding a veteran bench bat for the stretch run, as Rich Dubroff of CSNBaltimore.com reports that Wilson Betemit is finally making some progress in his recovery from a spring training knee injury.
Betemit has been playing rehab games in rookie-ball and is scheduled to move up to high Single-A this week to, as manager Buck Showalter put it, play in front of “some lights and some people in the stands.”
Betemit has missed the entire season, so a big role upon returning is unlikely, but he did hit .261 with 12 homers, 19 doubles, and a .744 OPS in 102 games last season and has experience at a bunch of different positions defensively. If healthy the switch-hitter would be a nice bench addition for the Orioles.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 52
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11