Aug 12, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
UPDATE: And just like that it’s gone. Astros catcher Carlos Corporan just hit a one-out homer to right. No doubt about. Just yanked it out of the park. We now return you to your regularly scheduled ordinary game. Well, apart from the part where Darvish does have 15 strikeouts. Which is pretty darn good.
4:19 PM: Yu Darvish has no-hit the Astros through seven innings this afternoon and has 13 strikeouts under his belt. The Astros’ lineup is certainly not fearsome, but Darvish has looked incredible so far today. The Rangers lead 2-0.
It would be a perfect game but for a horrendous call on a pitch to Jonathan Villar that should have been strike three. Instead it brought the count full and Villar walked on the next pitch. As soon as the walk was issued catcher A.J. Pierzynski said something to home plate umpire Ron Kulpa which caused Kulpa to eject him immediately. From the looks of it Kulpa seemed like the guy instigating the aggression, but of course Pierzynski is known for being something less than a gentleman at times. If someone is gonna say the magic words to an umpire, A.J. is the one. Still, you’d think an ump would develop some thicker skin before ejecting a guy’s catcher in the middle of a no-hot bid. I’m sure we’ll hear about it all later.
Either way, Darvish has tossed 96 pitches through seven innings. Given how helpless the Astros look at the moment, we could have a no-no on our hands.
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)