Aug 12, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
UPDATE: And just like that it’s gone. Astros catcher Carlos Corporan just hit a one-out homer to right. No doubt about. Just yanked it out of the park. We now return you to your regularly scheduled ordinary game. Well, apart from the part where Darvish does have 15 strikeouts. Which is pretty darn good.
4:19 PM: Yu Darvish has no-hit the Astros through seven innings this afternoon and has 13 strikeouts under his belt. The Astros’ lineup is certainly not fearsome, but Darvish has looked incredible so far today. The Rangers lead 2-0.
It would be a perfect game but for a horrendous call on a pitch to Jonathan Villar that should have been strike three. Instead it brought the count full and Villar walked on the next pitch. As soon as the walk was issued catcher A.J. Pierzynski said something to home plate umpire Ron Kulpa which caused Kulpa to eject him immediately. From the looks of it Kulpa seemed like the guy instigating the aggression, but of course Pierzynski is known for being something less than a gentleman at times. If someone is gonna say the magic words to an umpire, A.J. is the one. Still, you’d think an ump would develop some thicker skin before ejecting a guy’s catcher in the middle of a no-hot bid. I’m sure we’ll hear about it all later.
Either way, Darvish has tossed 96 pitches through seven innings. Given how helpless the Astros look at the moment, we could have a no-no on our hands.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8