Aug 12, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
UPDATE: And just like that it’s gone. Astros catcher Carlos Corporan just hit a one-out homer to right. No doubt about. Just yanked it out of the park. We now return you to your regularly scheduled ordinary game. Well, apart from the part where Darvish does have 15 strikeouts. Which is pretty darn good.
4:19 PM: Yu Darvish has no-hit the Astros through seven innings this afternoon and has 13 strikeouts under his belt. The Astros’ lineup is certainly not fearsome, but Darvish has looked incredible so far today. The Rangers lead 2-0.
It would be a perfect game but for a horrendous call on a pitch to Jonathan Villar that should have been strike three. Instead it brought the count full and Villar walked on the next pitch. As soon as the walk was issued catcher A.J. Pierzynski said something to home plate umpire Ron Kulpa which caused Kulpa to eject him immediately. From the looks of it Kulpa seemed like the guy instigating the aggression, but of course Pierzynski is known for being something less than a gentleman at times. If someone is gonna say the magic words to an umpire, A.J. is the one. Still, you’d think an ump would develop some thicker skin before ejecting a guy’s catcher in the middle of a no-hot bid. I’m sure we’ll hear about it all later.
Either way, Darvish has tossed 96 pitches through seven innings. Given how helpless the Astros look at the moment, we could have a no-no on our hands.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 6
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)