Aug 13, 2013, 5:22 PM EST
Ramirez has played just 54 of a possible 118 games while hitting .271 with five homers and a .773 OPS that ranks as his second-worst since 2003. And he’s been on the disabled list since July 6.
Even if Ramirez plays well right away it seems unlikely that the Brewers will be able to find a taker for him before the August 31 trade deadline, because in addition to being a 36-year-old with a bum knee and declining production he’s also owed $16 million for next season.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 18
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (72)