Aug 13, 2013, 8:23 AM EST
He’s not going to get too many more than 1,000. The Phillies only have 44 games left this year and given (a) that his contract is up; and (b) his age, he may not be managing again after 2013. But kudos to Charlie Manuel for winning his 1000th game.
After the victory he had this to say:
“It’s definitely quite an achievement,” Manuel said. “Like I told my players, they’re the ones that make it happen. They play. The two organizations I’ve been with, they’re the ones that get the players for me. That just goes to show you just how good they are. It’s hard for me to stand there and say I accept all of my accolades because the other people are definitely achieving those for you. That’s kind of how I look at it. I’m sure later on it probably means a lot more to me than right now. We’re still trying to win some games.”
Manuel has 780 wins with the Phillies and 220 with the Indians over the course of a 12-year managerial career. Last season was his first full season as a manager in which is team was under .500. Prior to that he had won at least 85 games in every full season. He’s rarely listed among the game’s best managers, but he has always run a smooth operation with veteran teams who were expected to win.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 27
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40