Aug 13, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Edinson Volquez had another awful start last night, allowing eight runs in 4.1 innings against the Rockies, and afterward the Padres right-hander told reporters that he thinks he’s been tipping pitches:
I don’t know what it is. They looked like they knew every pitch that was coming. Today I felt as good as I have all season. They have something on me. Maybe I am tipping my pitches. I have to look at the tape to see what it is.
Volquez indicated that the Rockies in particular seem to have a read on what he’s going to throw and he’s been knocked around for 21 earned runs in 12.2 innings at Coors Field this season. Of course, as Troy Renck of the Denver Post notes Volquez has an 8.39 ERA in Colorado for his career, which includes seven starts.
It’s also worth noting that even if you remove Volquez’s terrible numbers at Coors Field this season his overall ERA stands at 4.86 in 124 innings. In other words, he might be tipping pitches against the Rockies but he’s also been simply terrible against everyone else. And it’s not just this season. Volquez hasn’t posted an ERA below 4.00 since 2008 and has a combined 4.91 ERA in 540 innings during that time. That’s a lot of pitch-tipping.
- Jose Iglesias, with an extended aside about cheeseburger and burrito stats 3
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 4
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 29
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86