Aug 13, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Edinson Volquez had another awful start last night, allowing eight runs in 4.1 innings against the Rockies, and afterward the Padres right-hander told reporters that he thinks he’s been tipping pitches:
I don’t know what it is. They looked like they knew every pitch that was coming. Today I felt as good as I have all season. They have something on me. Maybe I am tipping my pitches. I have to look at the tape to see what it is.
Volquez indicated that the Rockies in particular seem to have a read on what he’s going to throw and he’s been knocked around for 21 earned runs in 12.2 innings at Coors Field this season. Of course, as Troy Renck of the Denver Post notes Volquez has an 8.39 ERA in Colorado for his career, which includes seven starts.
It’s also worth noting that even if you remove Volquez’s terrible numbers at Coors Field this season his overall ERA stands at 4.86 in 124 innings. In other words, he might be tipping pitches against the Rockies but he’s also been simply terrible against everyone else. And it’s not just this season. Volquez hasn’t posted an ERA below 4.00 since 2008 and has a combined 4.91 ERA in 540 innings during that time. That’s a lot of pitch-tipping.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 25
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)