Aug 13, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Edinson Volquez had another awful start last night, allowing eight runs in 4.1 innings against the Rockies, and afterward the Padres right-hander told reporters that he thinks he’s been tipping pitches:
I don’t know what it is. They looked like they knew every pitch that was coming. Today I felt as good as I have all season. They have something on me. Maybe I am tipping my pitches. I have to look at the tape to see what it is.
Volquez indicated that the Rockies in particular seem to have a read on what he’s going to throw and he’s been knocked around for 21 earned runs in 12.2 innings at Coors Field this season. Of course, as Troy Renck of the Denver Post notes Volquez has an 8.39 ERA in Colorado for his career, which includes seven starts.
It’s also worth noting that even if you remove Volquez’s terrible numbers at Coors Field this season his overall ERA stands at 4.86 in 124 innings. In other words, he might be tipping pitches against the Rockies but he’s also been simply terrible against everyone else. And it’s not just this season. Volquez hasn’t posted an ERA below 4.00 since 2008 and has a combined 4.91 ERA in 540 innings during that time. That’s a lot of pitch-tipping.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 8
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 59
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 27
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)