Aug 13, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
Chad Curtis, whose major league career featured stints with the Angels, Tigers, Dodgers, Indians, Yankees and Rangers — and who has two World Series rings from his time in the Bronx — is on trial in Michigan on multiple counts of criminal sexual conduct arising out of his time as a volunteer weightlifting coach at a high school. The charges came to light last summer.
Curtis is accused of inappropriately touching girls between the ages of 13 and 16. He faces a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison if convicted at the trial.
Curtis’s career highlight was probably hitting two homers for the Yankees in Game 3 of the 1999 World Series, including a walkoff. He was also know to have alienated multiple teammates over the course of his career, in part because his deeply religious beliefs led him to call out their off-field conduct. It has been reported that this is what led him to be traded away from the Yankees following the 1999 season, as he took issue with Derek Jeter‘s dating habits.
Would that were the worst thing he was ever accused of.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 139
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 133
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (139)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (133)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)