Aug 13, 2013, 8:15 PM EDT
Chase Hughes of CSNWashington.com has the story:
Werth walked past Gonzalez and said something that provoked Gio to turn around and start yelling back at the outfielder, causing pitching coach Steve McCatty to step in the pitcher’s way. Werth kept walking and appeared to take a seat in the corner of the dugout after the exchange.
Gonzalez was slow to cover first base on what could have been an inning-ending double play in the top of the first inning. Here’s a GIF of the confrontation between Gio and Jayson from Carmen Kiew on Twitter:
In closely-related news, the Nats are 14 games back of the Braves in the National League East standings.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 8
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 162
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 6
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (162)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)