Happy Left-handers Day

Aug 13, 2013, 4:05 PM EST

Lefty Grove

No, really: it’s a thing. According to the “Left-Handers Club” August 13 is Left-Handers Day, an “annual celebration of left-handers superiority!!”

But NOT TODAY! Because on this special day, it is your chance to GET YOUR OWN BACK on your right-handed friends colleagues and family, by designating your personal space as a LEFTY ZONE where everything must be done left-handed!

Major League Baseball is only honoring it to a minor degree. Of 30 starting pitchers tonight, only eight are left-handed. The Angels-Yankees game and the Giants-Nats game features left-handed starters from all teams. Apart from them the White Sox, Royals, Padres and Dodgers are starting lefties.  Elsewhere: we right-handers dominate. And keep score in pencil without getting graphite all over our hands.

1. skinsfanwill - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:14 PM

This is the dumbest shit I have ever heard of.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:17 PM

That’s because you don’t spend much time listening to yourself speak.

2. cur68 - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:14 PM

For those that appreciate the continuity, it was determined that DB Cooper was also a lefty. So there’s that.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Lol! Dude’s beating D.B. to death.
      Hey…what about Derek Drouin? Another Canadian.
      High Jumper extraordinaire. Dominating.

• RickyB - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:42 PM

More importantly, D.B. Sweeney was able to portray Joe Jackson hitting left-handed.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:59 PM

There was always something sinister about DB Cooper.

• raysfan1 - Aug 13, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Gauche

• proudlycanadian - Aug 13, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Oui! Tres gauche!

3. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM

In MLB, every day is Left-Hander day. It’s one of the few points in life us lefties actually have an advantage. (Seriously, writing in a 3 ring binder in high-school was the most pain in the ass thing I’ve ever had to do.)

• Francisco (FC) - Aug 13, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Binders are EVIL.

4. JB (the original) - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Bat and golf right-handed, everything else is the Big Louie.

5. kcroyal - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Left handers and gingers are proof that god has a sense of humor.

6. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:23 PM

My softball team fielded an all left handed infield at various points in the last season. Turning double plays were really fun.

• dcarroll73 - Aug 13, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I played second for years in pick-up hardball during high school and then continued at that position up to about age 30 in softball leagues. Luckily in the hardball games my shortstop was always the same bright guy (now an Ivy League history prof) who had down the slightly different placement of the throw to second for a lefty 2B to turn the double play. In softball this usually worked out, but one time our regular shortstop was out. The guy who filled in was a slick shortstop, but not used to flipping it over to a lefty. On one tailor-made DP ball, he drilled a perfect throw to the inside of second base. I was very glad it was softball. I barehanded it and threw it to first for the DP. I guess the last time there was a major league lefty second baseman was when real men didn’t need big padded gloves so this sort of thing was not an issue (believe me, I would not have wanted to snag a hardball that way.)
      Hail to all gauche and sinister folks out there (at least now the schools don’t tie our left hands behind us and beat us for writing lefthanded as happened to two of my greatgrandfathers.)

7. courageousdeer - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Be honest, Craig. If you could trade skills with a left-handed pitcher who has pinpoint command of the strike zone, you’d make that deal in a New York minute.

8. stlouis1baseball - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I can switch hands and gain two strokes.
    Does that mean I am ambidextrous?

9. philliesblow - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Happy lefty day to my fellow southpaws. We are the only people in our right minds.

10. southpaw2k - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:52 PM

“If the left side of your brain controls the right side of your body, and the right side of your brain controls the left side of your body, then left-handed people must be the only ones in their right minds.”

~ W.C. Fields

11. sdelmonte - Aug 13, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I have always considered being a pitcher simply because I am a lefty.

And let’s forget I couldn’t pitch a ball 16 feet, let alone 60.

12. courageousdeer - Aug 13, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the great can overcome it.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester