Aug 13, 2013, 7:28 PM EST
Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein told Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times on Tuesday that highly-touted outfield prospect Jorge Soler is unlikely to play in another game this season for High-A Daytona because he still has a long way to go in his recovery from a fractured left fibula.
Daytona’s regular season schedule ends September 1 and Soler is not doing any baseball activities.
The 21-year-old Cuban defector hit .281/.343/.467 with eight home runs, five steals and 35 RBI in 55 games this summer in the Florida State League and has batted .288/.353/.465 with 13 homers, 17 steals and 60 RBI in 89 total minor league games since signing a nine-year, $30 million contract last June.
Soler could participate in the Arizona Fall League this October if he is feeling up to it.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 54
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 23
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 26
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 23
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)