Aug 13, 2013, 11:58 PM EST
A day after homering to collect his 2,000th career hit, Alfonso Soriano homered twice and drove in six runs in the Yankees’ 14-7 win over the Angels on Tuesday, giving him 1,100 career RBI.
Soriano got to 1,100 RBI just six days after reaching 1,100 runs scored. Next up on the list for him is 400 homers; the two tonight leave him just six away.
It’s doubtful that Soriano will ever get into Cooperstown without a ticket, but he has filled up the stat sheet in his 15 major league seasons. Here are all the players with more homers and steals than his 394 and 281, respectively:
Barry Bonds: 764 HR, 514 SB
Willie Mays: 660 HR, 338 SB
Alex Rodriguez: 648 HR, 318 SB
Andre Dawson: 438 HR, 314 SB
Maybe that’s overselling it a bit. But Soriano is one of 22 players in major league history with both 250 homers and 250 steals. He’s one of 15 with 250 homers, 250 steals, 1,100 runs scored and 1,100 RBI. If he gets the 19 steals he needs for 300 — something that seems more likely now that he’s managed 11 this year — he’ll be one of seven players with 300 HR, 300 SB and 2,000 hits, joining Mays, Bonds, A-Rod, Dawson, Steve Finley and Carlos Beltran.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)