Aug 13, 2013, 11:58 PM EDT
A day after homering to collect his 2,000th career hit, Alfonso Soriano homered twice and drove in six runs in the Yankees’ 14-7 win over the Angels on Tuesday, giving him 1,100 career RBI.
Soriano got to 1,100 RBI just six days after reaching 1,100 runs scored. Next up on the list for him is 400 homers; the two tonight leave him just six away.
It’s doubtful that Soriano will ever get into Cooperstown without a ticket, but he has filled up the stat sheet in his 15 major league seasons. Here are all the players with more homers and steals than his 394 and 281, respectively:
Barry Bonds: 764 HR, 514 SB
Willie Mays: 660 HR, 338 SB
Alex Rodriguez: 648 HR, 318 SB
Andre Dawson: 438 HR, 314 SB
Maybe that’s overselling it a bit. But Soriano is one of 22 players in major league history with both 250 homers and 250 steals. He’s one of 15 with 250 homers, 250 steals, 1,100 runs scored and 1,100 RBI. If he gets the 19 steals he needs for 300 — something that seems more likely now that he’s managed 11 this year — he’ll be one of seven players with 300 HR, 300 SB and 2,000 hits, joining Mays, Bonds, A-Rod, Dawson, Steve Finley and Carlos Beltran.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 9
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 1
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 11
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 141
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (141)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)