Aug 13, 2013, 11:58 PM EDT
A day after homering to collect his 2,000th career hit, Alfonso Soriano homered twice and drove in six runs in the Yankees’ 14-7 win over the Angels on Tuesday, giving him 1,100 career RBI.
Soriano got to 1,100 RBI just six days after reaching 1,100 runs scored. Next up on the list for him is 400 homers; the two tonight leave him just six away.
It’s doubtful that Soriano will ever get into Cooperstown without a ticket, but he has filled up the stat sheet in his 15 major league seasons. Here are all the players with more homers and steals than his 394 and 281, respectively:
Barry Bonds: 764 HR, 514 SB
Willie Mays: 660 HR, 338 SB
Alex Rodriguez: 648 HR, 318 SB
Andre Dawson: 438 HR, 314 SB
Maybe that’s overselling it a bit. But Soriano is one of 22 players in major league history with both 250 homers and 250 steals. He’s one of 15 with 250 homers, 250 steals, 1,100 runs scored and 1,100 RBI. If he gets the 19 steals he needs for 300 — something that seems more likely now that he’s managed 11 this year — he’ll be one of seven players with 300 HR, 300 SB and 2,000 hits, joining Mays, Bonds, A-Rod, Dawson, Steve Finley and Carlos Beltran.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 46
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 49
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)