Aug 13, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
I follow Mike Gentz on Twitter. Mostly because his avatar is Wooderson from “Dazed and Confused.” Also because he’s around my age and his youthful baseball memories — centering on the Ralph Houk/Les Moss/Sparky Anderson Tigers — match my own pretty perfectly. Oh, and he’s a nice guy too.
Unfortunately, he and his two boys have had a horrible, awful year as Mike’s wife Dawn died of melanoma in April. Watching him from afar, via Twitter, as he has dealt with his loss while being there for his boys, running a business and still trying to keep up with his beloved Detroit Tigers has been at turns sad, funny, touching and always moving. Life goes on, even when it’s hard.
Recently the Detroit Tigers did something really nice for Mike: they invited him and his sons to Comerica Park for a day with the team. Mike wrote it up today over at the Bless You Boys blog. You want to go check it out now.
Great job, Tigers. And great job Mike.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 14
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 63
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4