Please stop with the “Great Clean Hope” nonsense

Aug 13, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT

Griffey hat on backwards

Bryan Burwell of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch spends some time talking about A-Rod and then turns his attention to Ken Griffey Jr.

Ken Griffey Jr. was placed in the Seattle Mariners Hall of Fame on Saturday night. That was the perfect antidote to whatever A-Rod has wrought.

A lot of people may have forgotten how good Ken Griffey was. Maybe there are kids today who have no memory of his legacy. We can’t allow that to happen. Griffey was someone we can all believe in. I want everyone to remember every one of those 630 home runs Griffey hit, because they are the rare ones that were not fueled by a mad scientist’s illegal brew. Every one of them was hit with nothing more than the strength of Griffey’s pure natural abilities. This was all about his family’s rich baseball DNA.

And Burwell knows this, how exactly?

I don’t think Griffey juiced. I hope he didn’t. But I don’t know. And neither does Burwell. Indeed, as commenter cohnjusack demonstrated in the Albert Pujols defamation thread yesterday, one could make the common bullcrap/innuendo case against Griffey that has been made about all sorts of players over the years:  He hit 50 home runs multiple times in the 1990s and was threatening Roger Maris’ record;  he saw a large, sudden jump in home runs (27 to 45) over the course of a year; he became chronically injured; he got noticeably bigger, going from this to this. All of the pieces fit if you believe the stupid armchair PED “experts.”

The point here, though, is not that Griffey could have juiced — again, I doubt he did — but that it is beyond stupid and naive, at this late date, to play the “Great Clean Hope” card. To say “this one, this guy I loved, at least he never cheated!” game. We did before, after all, with current History’s Greatest Monster Alex Rodriguez. Remember this from the New York Times in 2006?

The cause of Bonds’s physical changes has been endlessly scrutinized; he has repeatedly denied knowingly using steroids, and baseball only began testing for them in 2003. The worst accusation against Rodriguez is that he bragged too much about his workouts in an interview last spring. Whatever people think of him personally, the legitimacy of Rodriguez’s performance has never been questioned … If he continues to avoid injury, the home run record could be his. If Bonds is the man whom Rodriguez is chasing, it is safe to say baseball will be rooting for him.

If we have learned anything in the past decade it’s that talking up ballplayers as ideals of virtue is idiotic. The only reason we do it is to better trash the other guys. And, I suppose, so that we feel morally justified in saying we were “betrayed” when the objects of our idolization later prove to have been fallible after all.

I would be disappointed if, say, we found out Griffey was on that list of 100 players who tested positive during the trial tests back in 2004. But then I’d move on pretty quickly. If you believe what Burwell does — that Griffey was pure despite not knowing that for a fact at all — you are bound to be betrayed and outraged. Why you want to do that to yourself is beyond me. But do realize that your’e doing it to yourself.

1. DelawarePhilliesFan - Aug 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Darrin Ruf is the Great Clean Hope

• proudlycanadian - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:02 AM

That is barking nonsense.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Hey – the by-line was screaming for that reply!

My original choice was Cody Asche ;)

• proudlycanadian - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Trout! Go Fish!

• natstowngreg - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Sigh, you just had to mention Mike Trout. Now, I have to say Bryce Harper. Just, ya know, because…

• proudlycanadian - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Harper is a natural.

2. thinkfirstthenspeak - Aug 13, 2013 at 9:53 AM

The “Great Clean Hope” nonsense will stop around the same time as accusations of steroid use with no basis in fact do.

• Bill Parker - Aug 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM

You say that as though those two types of nonsense aren’t coming from exactly the same sources.

• thinkfirstthenspeak - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Nah, I was really just saying that when it comes to steroids in baseball, the nonsense piles up a lot faster than one can shovel it out.

• natstowngreg - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM

In other words, the nonsense will never stop. Yeah, that’s about right.

3. dondada10 - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Griffey using would almost take the sting out of it. Like when my mother found out that my overarchieving brother also smokes weed. Suddendly I wasn’t as much of an asshole in her eyes.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:10 AM

So that’s why my father always favored my younger brother……..

4. addictedzone - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I still have one “Great Clean Hope”. I’m pretty sure Juan Pierre is clean.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:04 AM

If he is not, he should demand a refund

• cohnjusack - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I’m not so sure…

• cohnjusack - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Oh goddammit! I linked to the wrong URL!

Well, that joke is thoroughly ruined. Here’s what is was supposed to be, an image of Juan Pierre badly photoshopped onto a comically muscular body.

• Detroit Michael - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:44 AM

If Alex Sanchez used steroids, then any player may have used steroids. We just don’t know, at least before MLB / MLBPA started requiring non-anonymous testing.

• km9000 - Aug 13, 2013 at 12:20 PM

It was David Eckstein for me. Though there was that one year he led the league with 3 grand slams…

• cohnjusack - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I looked this up and I will be damned, he did hit 3 grand slams in 2002.

Even crazier: He has 2 walk-off grand slams in his career. Which is two more than Barry Bonds.

• kevinbnyc - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Rafael Belliard. If he juiced, I’m pretty sure he was doing it wrong.

5. koufaxmitzvah - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I don’t feel cheated by steroids as much as I feel cheated by people insisting that the very best ballplayers in the world are mostly a bunch of cheaters.

• dondada10 - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:25 AM

They might not be, but is how it used to be.

6. halster71 - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Yeah the HR I remember from Griffey was the one where he grabed his junk as he ran past Sparkey Anderson…Classy guy that Griffey….

7. jarathen - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Griffey abused nerve tonic on national television, causing a grotesque case of gigantism. You all saw it. Don’t pretend that you didn’t.

• cohnjusack - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM

For your enjoyment, here are the audio outtakes of Griffey doing the “it’s like there’s a party in my mouth” line from the Season 3 DVD

8. jgreiner9 - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I like how you show the pictures of Griffey in his first couple of years and then pictures of him in his late 20s and through his 30s. I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t have the same body he had at 18 when he was 35. His body type also pretty much matched his dads, but like you said, who knows?

• Craig Calcaterra - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM

People have been doing that with Bonds for years. And McGwire and Giambi.

• jm91rs - Aug 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Sometimes you’d be right, but McGwire and Bonds just got huge and ripped. McGwire’s arms were like tree trunks in St. Louis. Griffey just got fat, slower, and his ass got really big.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:16 PM

McGwire lead the league in HR with 49 as a rookie. He was huge then.

• CyclePower - Aug 13, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Yeah, Craig, except (and this is really important)tThey actually did use drugs. People haven’t been making unfounded innuendos with these guys for years, they’ve made well founded verifiable criticisms of confessed and sanctioned dopers. Are you self-enamored with your relativist schstick that you’ve been repeating non-stop for the past month that you can’t see the difference? And I guess even more glaringly, can you not understand that’s it’s not really ok to make a point about selectively criticizing some players for behavior you might think is overblown by therefore pointing the finger at virtually any player. ..making the relativist comparison to Gaylord Perry spitballs I guess wasn’t compelling enough an argument. Let’s slime Ken Griffey Jr…. He just accepted his HOF induction with class and dignity in a pretty touching speech, and you slimed him. I think that’s pretty shitty.

I know. You covered your bases by stating clearly that you didn’t “think” he juiced, that you were making some larger point about false hero veneration or whatever self-important blather, but the effect is the same.

Jack Clark is a meathead. He’s just stupid. When he spouts off, the listener considers the source. When you do it, it’s subtle, it’s insidious and I think it’s even more destructive. Jack Clark is just an idiot looking for attention. Your agenda is to try to create a sport without heroes or villains by equivocating the lousy behavior and tearing down those we consider the “good guys.” I think this appeals to your vanity and, ultimately, your cynicism.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Actually cohnjusack and I made the point in the previous thread. Craig is just expanding on it. And since no one has actually taken us up on the argument, good on you to attack the writer instead. Well done…

• Bob Loblaw - Aug 13, 2013 at 5:23 PM

It’s like I say all the time to the idiot sportswriters who keep guys like Piazza, Bagwell, and to a lesser extent, Sosa, McGwire, Bonds, Clemens, etc out of the hall of fame. Yet they are going to have no problem voting in “clean” guys like Maddux, Griffey, and Frank Thomas. They should either vote them all in or vote none of them in. Sammy Sosa failed the same # of drug tests as did Greg Maddux. Why isn’t Sosa in the hall of fame? Roger Clemens is the greatest pitcher of this generation…why isn’t he in the hall? When did he fail a drug test? Because Brian McNamee said he shot him up, he is automatically guilty?

There is no 100% way to tell whether ANYBODY is 100% clean and to say this person is 100% clean is as stupid as it is naive.

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Aug 13, 2013 at 5:40 PM

In 86-87 at Huntsville, McGwire was a skinny kid with skinny forearms, but by 1988 he was a monster and growing.

He was 46 homeruns in minor league 260 games? Then pow, 49 as a rookie in the majors, and an admitted cheat.
        Safe to say he juiced his entire career
        (just like Clemens)

• CyclePower - Aug 13, 2013 at 6:16 PM

“He actually didn’t. He wondered why Griffey is considered “clean” when someone who has a very similar profile to Griffey is getting smeared with dirty? Answer the question. Why does Griffey get the benefit of the doubt and Pujols doesn’t? Or turn it around and say if Griffey is clean, why do people assume Pujols is dirty?”

No. I’m not going to answer the question because the article and CC’s rationalization for writing it has nothing to do with Pujols and that’s not what I was responding to. CC mentioned Bonds, McGwire, Giambi, – known dopers – to which I responded. Pujols was never mentioned anywhere here until you brought him up, either because you’re oblivious to the points being made – either directly or implied – or you’re deliberately trying to obfuscate. Even if it was; even if the point was that it’s not ethically right make an unfounded speculative observation about a player with little or no evidence because of the unwarranted damage it does to their reputation, how perverse and illogical is it to make the same innuendo and cause the same damage to make that point?

But this is irrelevant because that wasn’t CC’s intent.

9. pappageorgio - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM

So now the standard of proof for steroid innuendo is “we can’t prove he didn’t”.

In a time when sports writers are going out of their way to muddy the waters every chance they get, what exactly is wrong with an artical praising a guy who seemingly stayed clean……on the night he was honored by going into his teams HOF?

Bryan Burwell was so horrified by the thought of a positive artical about a star who stayed clean in a dirty era………that he craps all over it with “we can’t prove he didn’t”.

• dan1111 - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Actually there is one consistent standard here: don’t make claims about things without evidence.

Don’t claim a player did steroids without evidence.

Don’t claim someone definitely, 100% certainly did not do steroids when actually you have no way of knowing that.

• pappageorgio - Aug 13, 2013 at 12:55 PM

So……don’t claim anyone isn’t a biggot, wife beater, child molester, or crack head. Because we’re not following that person around 100% of the time and can’t say with 100% certainty?

Last I checked there is no such this as 100% certainty. And the writer didn’t say 100% certainty.

This is a dumb standard. I consider anyone who hasn’t had multiple witnesses say they used PEDs, haven’t failed a drug test, and aren’t linked to a steroid clinic to be clean. Under this writers standard of who can/can’t be listed as a PED user…….everyone is guilty because their innocence can’t be proven. The list of players this applies to is everyone, basically a license to write/say bad things about anyone anytime they want……because there’s no proof it’s not true.

That’s dumb.

• southofheaven81 - Aug 13, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Yeah, it’s almost like we’re supposed to think that they’re INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty. What kind of crazy bullshit is that??

• billmed1947 - Aug 14, 2013 at 9:32 AM

That’s not what the article says. Read it again. It says that we can’t be certain. And the article is correct in that.

10. oldskimmy26 - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I guess since we can’t know if Griffey’s clean, then we can’t know if Jeff Bagwell’s clean, and all of the articles around HOF voting time accusing him of steroids are OK then.

Here’s where I come out. You’re clean until you’re proven not to be clean.

Griffey is clean. Bagwell is clean. It’s not about hero worship Calcaterra, it’s about needing more proof than a before/after picture.

• dlf9 - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:41 AM

How much proof? Do you require a positive test? Public acknowledgement? Performance irregularity? Physical changes? Bacne? Testifying before Congress in a language other than English? Or is the statement of someone who could have first hand knowledge sufficient? How retroactive should we be: for example, the “cream” and the “clear” that Bonds supposedly used were not scheduled drugs until 2004.

This whole discussion troubles me because there seems far more moralizing that thought.

• oldskimmy26 - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Um…proof. Bacne is not proof. A positive test is. What language you speak is not. Public acknowledgement is. An “eyewitness” is not unless something or someone else corroborates it.

Have the PED rationalizers around here really gone so far off their rockers that they’re willing to tear down Griffey to make some kind of reverse psychological point about how PED use shouldn’t matter so much to us?

Unbelievable.

• cohnjusack - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I think the point is that since there is is just as much proof that Griffey is clean that there is proof Bagwell is dirty. So, why bother with an article about how clean Griffey is when you don’t know?

Sportswriter’s have been doing this crap for years…selectively deciding that player A is clean and player B is dirty when they both fit the same set of made up criteria. I think Craig’s point was to point out this hypocrisy, not to say Griffey must have done steroids. We don’t know who all used, so it’s a bit silly to claim Bagwell must be dirty while Griffey must be clean. Best to not write either article!

For the record, I basically think that a lot of people did it, we’ll never know who all did and baseball has a much better system in place now for dealing with it. So…get over it everybody.

• oldskimmy26 - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I see absolutely no problem with proclaiming someone as clean when they have never been proven dirty. That goes for Bagwell AND Griffey. The articles accusing Bagwell are wrong, and this article about how Griffey could have used is wrong.

People have to stop being so synical. There ARE clean players in Baseball. There were clean players during the 90′s. To suspect someone of steroids because “we don’t know” is ridiculous.

And, by the way, it’s the reason that players like Mike Trout have come out and said they’re for lifetime bans. They’re tired of being caught up in this synical conversation. They’re tired of working their butts off to do it without PED’s only to be lumped in with the PED users because “we can’t know for sure”.

• Joe - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Actually there is a big difference between directly accusing somebody, as many have done with Bagwell, and saying “I’m in no position to make the call,” as Craig is doing here with Griffey. Craig did write a couple of times that he believes Griffey did not use.

There’s also a big difference between saying “I’m not going to emphatically state that Griffey was clean, because I don’t know,” and saying “I’m not going to vote for Bagwell because I think he might have used steroids.”

• Joe - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:49 AM

we can’t know if Jeff Bagwell’s clean

Pretty sure that’s the point CC is making.

all of the articles around HOF voting time accusing him of steroids are OK then

Pretty sure that’s a straw man argument.

• Alex K - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:54 AM

He never said Griffey isn’t clean. He made a point of saying that he doesn’t think Griffey used. He’s only saying that putting someone on a pedestal because of what we want to believe is a bad idea because at the end of the day we don’t know.

The stuff with the pictures was to show that flimsy cases based on nothing can be used against anyone, and those flimsy cases are bullshit.

• clemente2 - Aug 13, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Ah, reading comprehension. Thank you.

11. dlf9 - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:31 AM

America’s true national pastime: build up heroes and then tear them down again. You can see it with politicians, with actors, and certainly with sports figures. Just think about the 360 that took place this summer with Puig. In the space of six weeks, he went from the cuddly guy with awesome performance to the guy who was disrespectful of teamates, retirees and how dare he slide into home on a roundtripper.

• dlf9 - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:37 AM

By the way, I’ll always have a soft spot in my baseball memories for Junior Griffey: he was the first player younger than me in the majors. First manager younger than me: Eric Wedge. First HOFer younger than me: Roberto Alomar. Last MLB player older than me: Omar Vizquel who just barely outlasted Jamie Moyer.

12. benjamincharlesparho - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I really hope he was clean. You have to think that with all of his injuries, he could have benefited from using steroids, which is why it would be even more respectable if he is actually clean.

• CyclePower - Aug 13, 2013 at 3:49 PM

“I really hope he was clean.” …planting the seeds of doubt. Nice job, Craig!

13. tcclark - Aug 13, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Ken Griffey Jr. had the purest swing in baseball history. He generated his power from his whole body rather than just his arms. Can we please just have one player from this era that is above reproach? Can we see Ken Griffey Jr. for what he really is – one of the greatest baseball players of all-time? Can we continue to remember him for his five tools, his gold glove fielding, and his smooth swing? Ken Griffey jr. did not juice. You are innocent until proven guilty in this country and after ten years no one has been able to come up with even a decent accusation of him juicing. Sammy Sosa? yes. Mark McGwire? Yes. Barry Bonds? You bettcha. Roger Clemens? Yep got him too. Alex Rodriguez? Busted… multiple times. But Ken Griffey Jr. has been clean.Had he not gotten injured all of those years, we would probably be talking about the home run king. Let’s just have our “Great Clean Hope” for once, and remember the game of baseball as pure an unaltered. So much negativity is written about this sport, let’s not trash it when something positive is written about one of the greats.

• cohnjusack - Aug 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I wouldn’t have a problem with Burwell’s column if other sportswriter’s shared your point of view. Unfortunately, you get articles like this in conjunction with articles claiming that Bagwell or Pujols must have used because…well…look at those stats! Plus Burwell also doesn’t exactly have a history of rational thought on this subject. If a reporter can call out a Jeff Bagwell or Mike Piazza for steroid use because he had big muscles and hit home runs, they can’t then say another player is a beacon of clean playing when he fits the same criteria. Well…he can, it’s just rampant hypocrisy.

• tcclark - Aug 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Unfortunately, we have to deal with writers who get bored with their jobs. What sports writers do is report. They write recaps, they spit out stats, they tell you what other people have to say. You get to be around sports,but after a while it gets boring, so you decide to do an investigative piece. But instead of actually, you know, investigating, they just reach into a shoebox, pull out a baseball card and accuse that player of using steroids because for some reason they’re strong and we all know that the only way to get strong is to take steroids. It’s stupid, but it’s what we have to deal with. What we can’t do is let it alter our view of these players. You can looking negatively at Bonds, or Sosa, or Rodriguez, but Griffey, Bagwell, and Piazza, have yet to be proven guilty of anything and really, Griffey has yet to be legitimately accused.

I’m just saying, we can moan and groan when a negative piece is written about someone with no basis of fact, but not the positive ones. We are innocent until proven guilty in this country, so Ken Griffey Jr. never juiced, Mike Piazza never juiced, and Jeff Bagwell never juiced. If you want me to change my opinion, prove it otherwise. Until then, I like reading a good article about a great player on a day that he’s honored. Burwell’s just doing what he’s supposed to be doing as a sports writer…. reporting the facts.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 13, 2013 at 11:36 AM

It’s almost like people didn’t read the column, especially the point you made in the previous thread…

• paperlions - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:17 PM

No power hitters generate power primarily from their arms. None. If there is no weight transfer and no hip rotation, there is no power regardless of arm size.

• Walk - Aug 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Griffey had a beautiful swing, it was very similar to bonds swing which drew power from his hips. I never did see a real good interview from bonds but I do remember him repeatedly crediting his hips for his power.

• tcclark - Aug 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM

You’re right. the word “just” shouldn’t have been in there. The point is, while others relied heavily on their upper body strength, Junior used his long body to generate leverage on the ball. Physically, he was the perfect power hitter.

• dcarroll73 - Aug 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

“Barry Bonds? You bettcha.” EXCUSE ME? You do know that Bonds never failed a properly administered test, don’t you? All there is on Bonds is the improperly leaked “List” of the testing that was BY CONTRACTUAL AGREEMENT required to be anonymous. The pathetic attempt at a prosecution led to the one obstruction charge that, if we are going to still call it a “justice”
      system, ought to be thrown out complete with a strong lecture to the incompetent prosecutor. If you can’t ask questions clearly enough to pin down a witness, don’t do courtroom work.
      For the record, I think Junior is great, and his health history is an excellent example of why steroids should not be banned but instead used under proper medical supervision to get the healing benefits they offer.

• tcclark - Aug 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM

This isn’t an arguement on the justice system, this is an argument on whether Player X juiced or not. Illegally leaked evidence is still evidence in the public mind. Bonds juiced.

• clemente2 - Aug 13, 2013 at 6:16 PM

There has been no finding or declaration Griffey was clean. There cannot be one. You believe it. It might be right.

You are, however, deluded as to Griffey’s swing versus others. All power hitters use their whole body. The ability to coordinate torque from feet to shoulders makes one a power hitter (along with eye).

14. tbutler704 - Aug 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM

The Gerry Cooney thing Calcaterra tweeted earlier along these lines is perfect.

15. jm91rs - Aug 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I kinda wish you wouldn’t get mad at someone for doing the thing you wish everyone would do. Assume clean until proven otherwise. I like that there’s a great player from that era that is generally viewed as clean. I like that we can talk about his great career (injuries and all) without mentioning steroids. I thought you tended to side with that as well?

16. irishdodger - Aug 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I wonder if anyone ever accused Davey Johnson of juicing when he clubbed 40+ homers w/ the Atlanta Braves when he was a light hitting 2B for most of his career. I know it helped to be in a lineup w/ Hank Aaron, Dusty Baker & Darrell Evans, but it begs the question if we’re going to go back in history and pull out all the anomalies that appeared over the decades. Back in the 70s, I’d lean more towards loaded bats vs PEDs. Brady Anderson is the modern day Davey Johnson & I think most folks would accept his one big season as an anomaly or PED abuse.

• jwbiii - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Tom House, an admitted user, played on that team. Flimsier “evidence” has been used to convict players in the court of public opinion. Guilty as charged. Also every player who played for Johnson, Baker, or Evans (Evans managed the Long Beach Armada, the Golden League team that Jose Canseco played for). Also every teammate they ever had.

17. irishdodger - Aug 13, 2013 at 12:20 PM

McGwire undoubtedly got massive as he got older but as a tall, skinny rookie, he still clubbed 49 bombs. Then in the mid-90s, he couldn’t stay healthy w/ his ankle and other injuries.

18. bkunza - Aug 13, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Craig, please stop writing! Please….

• raysfan1 - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:38 PM

…or you could just stop reading his articles.

Also, you forgot to sign your note “love, Mom.”

19. wpjohnson - Aug 13, 2013 at 12:55 PM

At least we can have confidence in one of the half dozen best starters of all time- Greg Maddux as well as his team mate and H of F companion, Tommy Glavine.

• cohnjusack - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Umm…why?

20. chiadam - Aug 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Can we get a column from this guy that does not involve PEDs? Just one?

Please?

• cohnjusack - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Of 14 HBT posts today, 13 have had nothing to do with steroids.

21. gibbskins9 - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Turn your hat around and respect the game

22. sandrafluke2012 - Aug 13, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Griffey might not be clean? Obamacare isn’t a tax? Patriot Act isn’t very Patriotic?

23. farvite - Aug 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Griffey > Bonds

Greatest player of his era.

Three legends off to Cooperstown