The Orioles send Ronny Paulino to the Tigers

Aug 13, 2013, 3:29 PM EDT

Ronny Paulino Getty Getty Images

Technically the Tigers purchased catcher Ronny Paulino’s contract from the Orioles, which is typically described as “[Team] bought [Player] from [Team].” I hate writing that, though. It sounds like they’re chattels or something. I mean, it’s not like the Orioles put Paulino in a shipping container or something.

Anyway, Paulino will provide organization depth in the event Alex Avila‘s body just falls apart after taking his five millionth foul tip. He has spent the entire season in the Orioles’ organization. Overall he’s hit well, but that includes a lot of at bats at Double-A which, c’mon, Paulino is 32 years old so he should hit at Double-A.

1. rbj1 - Aug 13, 2013 at 3:44 PM

“I mean, it’s not like the Orioles put Paulino in a shipping container or something.

They did send him to Toledo, though. You can decide for yourself if that’s any better.”

Hey, I like my shipping container here in Toledo. Not that I could sell it if I wanted to.

2. joeflaccosunibrow - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Traded for a box of K-cups…

3. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I’m 32 years old, and I’m pretty sure I would make double A pitchers look like that kid from Rookie of the Year.

4. theinconvienenttruth - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Good bat and weak defense…perfect fit in Detriot

5. jyoung1891 - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Okay, this is something that I’ve wondered about, and it’s sort of related. Sometimes, players’ contracts get sold to Japanese or Korean teams. I guess that the player could refuse to report, and be in violation. But do they have any veto power in those cases? Does the union protect them?

• lawson1974 - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I’m sure the foreign team doesn’t fork over any money. unless they have some assurances that the player is willing to come.

6. lawson1974 - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Come on Craig, you doofus, you say the Tigers bought the contract.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey