Aug 13, 2013, 6:06 PM EDT
Torii Hunter thinks everyone needs to back off Prince Fielder, even though the first baseman isn’t putting up his usual numbers this year. Speaking on the “Ryan and Rico” show on Detroit’s 105.1 FM on Tuesday, Hunter indicated that Fielder is dealing with issues off the field.
“Prince is a strong guy, man. A lot of people don’t know what’s going on in his life.” Hunter said. “He’s out there every day, won’t come out of the lineup, no matter what’s going on off the field or on the field. … Us as players, we know what’s really going on. And we appreciate him going out there every day, despite…”
He trailed off from there.
Fielder is hitting .261/.352/.432 with 17 homers and 81 RBI this year. The RBI total is fine, but his OPS is down 156 points from his first year in Detroit. His career worst OPS was an .831 mark from his rookie season in 2006. Right now, he’s at .784.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)