Aug 13, 2013, 6:06 PM EST
Torii Hunter thinks everyone needs to back off Prince Fielder, even though the first baseman isn’t putting up his usual numbers this year. Speaking on the “Ryan and Rico” show on Detroit’s 105.1 FM on Tuesday, Hunter indicated that Fielder is dealing with issues off the field.
“Prince is a strong guy, man. A lot of people don’t know what’s going on in his life.” Hunter said. “He’s out there every day, won’t come out of the lineup, no matter what’s going on off the field or on the field. … Us as players, we know what’s really going on. And we appreciate him going out there every day, despite…”
He trailed off from there.
Fielder is hitting .261/.352/.432 with 17 homers and 81 RBI this year. The RBI total is fine, but his OPS is down 156 points from his first year in Detroit. His career worst OPS was an .831 mark from his rookie season in 2006. Right now, he’s at .784.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)