Aug 14, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Tampa Bay has lost six games in a row, but there is some very good news for the Rays: Alex Cobb, who’s been out since being hit on the head by a line drive on June 15, is scheduled to come off the disabled list and start tomorrow night against the Mariners.
Rays manager Joe Maddon told Sam Strong of MLB.com that Cobb will likely be limited to around 90 pitches after his recovery was delayed by a blister on his right index finger.
Cobb made a total of three rehab starts in the minors, the last of which involved allowing three runs in 4.1 innings against high Single-A hitters. Before the head injury he had a 3.01 ERA and 76/23 K/BB ratio in 84 innings for the Rays, emerging as one of the league’s best young pitchers.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)