Aug 14, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
Tampa Bay has lost six games in a row, but there is some very good news for the Rays: Alex Cobb, who’s been out since being hit on the head by a line drive on June 15, is scheduled to come off the disabled list and start tomorrow night against the Mariners.
Rays manager Joe Maddon told Sam Strong of MLB.com that Cobb will likely be limited to around 90 pitches after his recovery was delayed by a blister on his right index finger.
Cobb made a total of three rehab starts in the minors, the last of which involved allowing three runs in 4.1 innings against high Single-A hitters. Before the head injury he had a 3.01 ERA and 76/23 K/BB ratio in 84 innings for the Rays, emerging as one of the league’s best young pitchers.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 25
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)