Aug 14, 2013, 8:17 AM EST
Given that every report on the matter claims that Major League Baseball has overwhelming evidence of Alex Rodriguez‘s drug use one might assume that his defense would center on the severity of the penalty as opposed to the charges on the merits. If one did so, however, one might be wrong. From ESPN:
MLB suspended Rodriguez for 211 games earlier this month for what baseball alleged was his use of banned substances over “multiple years,” among other violations.
Rodriguez’s attorney, David Cornwell, said Tuesday in an interview with New York radio station WFAN that Rodriguez’s legal team will challenge that allegation during its appeal of the suspension.
“We are challenging that there are multiple violations of the (Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment) Program,” Cornwell said.
Lawyers say things all the time and those things may or may not hew to reality once the proceedings open. But given the posture I feel like we can conclude that the A-Rod arbitration is going to be very, very long.
But hey: at least we’ll have something to do during the long, cold offseason!
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 13
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 70
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)