Aug 14, 2013, 8:17 AM EDT
Given that every report on the matter claims that Major League Baseball has overwhelming evidence of Alex Rodriguez‘s drug use one might assume that his defense would center on the severity of the penalty as opposed to the charges on the merits. If one did so, however, one might be wrong. From ESPN:
MLB suspended Rodriguez for 211 games earlier this month for what baseball alleged was his use of banned substances over “multiple years,” among other violations.
Rodriguez’s attorney, David Cornwell, said Tuesday in an interview with New York radio station WFAN that Rodriguez’s legal team will challenge that allegation during its appeal of the suspension.
“We are challenging that there are multiple violations of the (Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment) Program,” Cornwell said.
Lawyers say things all the time and those things may or may not hew to reality once the proceedings open. But given the posture I feel like we can conclude that the A-Rod arbitration is going to be very, very long.
But hey: at least we’ll have something to do during the long, cold offseason!
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 0
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 8
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 10
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)