Aug 14, 2013, 8:08 PM EST
Clay Buchholz hasn’t pitched in a major league game since June 8 because of neck and shoulder troubles. But there’s a light at the end of the tunnel.
Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald reports that the right-hander threw around 50 pitches — simulating three innings of work — on Wednesday afternoon off a bullpen mound and called it his “best day so far” in a chat later with various Boston media members.
“Today felt like a good time for me to test it, and yeah, the last 30 pitches I didn’t feel anything,” said Buchholz. “I think that was the best thing I could take out of it.”
Buchholz will throw a similar-style bullpen session on Saturday and could then be considered for a minor league rehab assignment. There’s still hope that he will be ready for activation by the end of August.
Buchholz, 29, was 9-0 with a 1.71 ERA and 1.02 WHIP in 12 starts before landing on the disabled list.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 44
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 34
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 51
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 47
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)