Aug 14, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
During the first inning of last night’s Nationals-Giants game starting pitcher Gio Gonzalez and right fielder Jayson Werth had a verbal altercation in the Washington dugout that was caught on camera. It didn’t go beyond yelling because Werth seemed to end things by walking away.
Chase Hughes of CSNWashington.com went looking for answers in the clubhouse afterward and both parties declined to talk, but manager Davey Johnson explained:
Oh, just a little camaraderie going on. Jayson sometimes can get a little vocal. He thought that Gio was a little late covering first, and he was. Spirits are high. I like it. It’s no big deal.
Gonzalez did admit afterward that he was late covering first base, saying he fell off the mound to the third base side and thought the first baseman or second baseman was going to make the play.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 15
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 101
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 159
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)