Aug 14, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
During the first inning of last night’s Nationals-Giants game starting pitcher Gio Gonzalez and right fielder Jayson Werth had a verbal altercation in the Washington dugout that was caught on camera. It didn’t go beyond yelling because Werth seemed to end things by walking away.
Chase Hughes of CSNWashington.com went looking for answers in the clubhouse afterward and both parties declined to talk, but manager Davey Johnson explained:
Oh, just a little camaraderie going on. Jayson sometimes can get a little vocal. He thought that Gio was a little late covering first, and he was. Spirits are high. I like it. It’s no big deal.
Gonzalez did admit afterward that he was late covering first base, saying he fell off the mound to the third base side and thought the first baseman or second baseman was going to make the play.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20