Aug 14, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
During the first inning of last night’s Nationals-Giants game starting pitcher Gio Gonzalez and right fielder Jayson Werth had a verbal altercation in the Washington dugout that was caught on camera. It didn’t go beyond yelling because Werth seemed to end things by walking away.
Chase Hughes of CSNWashington.com went looking for answers in the clubhouse afterward and both parties declined to talk, but manager Davey Johnson explained:
Oh, just a little camaraderie going on. Jayson sometimes can get a little vocal. He thought that Gio was a little late covering first, and he was. Spirits are high. I like it. It’s no big deal.
Gonzalez did admit afterward that he was late covering first base, saying he fell off the mound to the third base side and thought the first baseman or second baseman was going to make the play.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)