Aug 14, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
Coming into today Marlins outfielder Justin Ruggiano hadn’t gotten a hit since July 8, going 0-for-42 during that time. Another hitless game and he would have tied or maybe even broken the modern hitless record of 45 at-bats, which is shared by Craig Counsell in 2011 and Bill Bergen in 1909.
But instead Ruggiano notched three hits today against the Royals, singling in second, fourth, and ninth innings. He was also thrown out trying to steal second base after his first hit, which is pretty hilarious for a guy who just snapped an 0-for-42 slump with an infield single.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)