Aug 14, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Guerrier briefly pitched well for the Cubs after coming over from the Dodgers in the Carlos Marmol contract dump, but was shut down with elbow problems and placed on the 60-day disabled list last week.
That rules him out for the season, but if Guerrier indeed has a torn flexor muscle he’d be looking at a 6-8 month recovery timetable that would make it awfully difficult for the 35-year-old to secure a guaranteed contract for 2014. In fact, Guerrier even brought up the possibility of staying in Chicago on a minor-league deal when he talked to Levine about the injury.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 31
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)