Aug 14, 2013, 9:47 PM EST
Royals third baseman Mike Moustakas made an early exit from Monday’s 6-2 victory over the Marlins with tightness in his left calf muscle. He did not play Tuesday, sat out again on Wednesday and might not be ready to return to action for another several days.
Royals manager Ned Yost told Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star after Wednesday afternoon’s 5-2 loss to Miami that Moustakas isn’t making very much progress and that the “best-case scenario” would have him available for a pinch-hit appearance by Saturday or Sunday in Detroit. A retroactive stint on the 15-day disabled list has not been ruled out.
Moustakas, 24, is hitting .232/.290/.367 with 10 home runs and 30 RBI in 103 games this season for the Royals, who are currently 7 1/2 games back of the Tigers in the American League Central standings.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27