Aug 14, 2013, 9:47 PM EDT
Royals third baseman Mike Moustakas made an early exit from Monday’s 6-2 victory over the Marlins with tightness in his left calf muscle. He did not play Tuesday, sat out again on Wednesday and might not be ready to return to action for another several days.
Royals manager Ned Yost told Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star after Wednesday afternoon’s 5-2 loss to Miami that Moustakas isn’t making very much progress and that the “best-case scenario” would have him available for a pinch-hit appearance by Saturday or Sunday in Detroit. A retroactive stint on the 15-day disabled list has not been ruled out.
Moustakas, 24, is hitting .232/.290/.367 with 10 home runs and 30 RBI in 103 games this season for the Royals, who are currently 7 1/2 games back of the Tigers in the American League Central standings.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)