Aug 14, 2013, 9:47 PM EDT
Royals third baseman Mike Moustakas made an early exit from Monday’s 6-2 victory over the Marlins with tightness in his left calf muscle. He did not play Tuesday, sat out again on Wednesday and might not be ready to return to action for another several days.
Royals manager Ned Yost told Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star after Wednesday afternoon’s 5-2 loss to Miami that Moustakas isn’t making very much progress and that the “best-case scenario” would have him available for a pinch-hit appearance by Saturday or Sunday in Detroit. A retroactive stint on the 15-day disabled list has not been ruled out.
Moustakas, 24, is hitting .232/.290/.367 with 10 home runs and 30 RBI in 103 games this season for the Royals, who are currently 7 1/2 games back of the Tigers in the American League Central standings.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 18
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 26
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 24
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)